News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Clocks onboard U-boat?s ?

Hi guys,

Can some of you post wartime photos that show what type of clocks were mounted inside the subs? I am very interested in see the clock in the radio room. I think it is suposed to look like this on?

This one came from the estate of Wilfried Prellberg, Commander of U-19 and U-31.

Regards

Hinrik Steinsson

Hi guys,

Can some of you post wartime photos that show what type of clocks were mounted inside the subs? I am very interested in see the clock in the radio room. I think it is suposed to look like this on?

This one came from the estate of Wilfried Prellberg, Commander of U-19 and U-31.

Regards

Hinrik Steinsson

I'm not really into clocks but If they were submerged , how would they know if it was 2am or 2pm ?I always thought that they used clocks with the 24 hour Military scale ...since they had limited access to sunlight on the Subs :speechless: . I have only 2 Heer desk clocks but they are the standard style ..

U-Boats used exactly the same clocks as surface ships, there was no special version for them. All the standard KM clocks had the normal 12 hour cycle numerals. The finest, and most collectable, by Kieninger and Obergfell do not have the smaller 13-24 numerals adjacent to the larger 1-12 numerals.

The larger Junghans ships clocks have the smaller 13-24 numerals running inside the larger numerals on the early brass cased versions and outside the larger numerals on the later bakelite cased versions.

The smaller sized Junghans 8-day ships clock which is what this is, correctly does not have the 13-24 numerals.

Hinrik, this type clock was indeed used on U-Boats, but not exclusively, so could also have come from a surface ship, but it is a good original piece.

U-Boats used exactly the same clocks as surface ships, there was no special version for them. *********************************************

At a local Auction 5 months ago , I passed up on a KM marked 8 day that was similar to this one. It sold for $300.00 ...For some reason I always assumed they used the 24 scale. I can see that my "assuming" (and not knowing for sure) cost me now. Thanks for the info Gordon ..I lost out on that one but , live and learn.

---please don't tell me what it's worth , I don't need salt added to the wound :(

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon gentlemens,

Hinrik, concerning your question I am not sure of my right concerning posting of images in books. The clock in your image is reproduced in Knirim, Konrad (2002): Milit?ruhren/Military timepieces, Verlag Peter Pomp, Bottrop-Essen page 287.

Also a pic of the U 124 radio room is there to be seen:

Message station of U 124: The oficer has a KM wrist watch, left at the wall is a small Junghans clock J30E with chromed bezel.

Image below (Knirim collection):

Submarine wall clock Junghans cal J30D with big dial and 8 days movement and the smaller version with Junghans J 30D

Another pic of U 2518 radio room, page 281, shows the Kieninger & Obergfell wall watch near a 40 watt Lo 40K39 transmitter

I think your watch is the Junghans J30D or a very similar version

hope this helps

best regards

Alejandro Gomez Guerrero

http://community.webshots.com/user/eaj1es (personal Uboat items collection)

Thanks Alejandro and welcome to this forum. I think Micheal and many of the other U-boat collectors here would be very interested in seeing photos of your collection.

Maybe you can post some in the thread I sent you?

Regards

Hinrik

Alejandro,

Your collection looks great :) To answer my own question, I found a photo from your collection on weshots site:

http://community.webshots.com/album/72980040tKyAHZ

My German is not too great, but I think this is a photo you took inside U-995 ?

Clearly shown, here in the Radio room, bottom right, is the clock in question! And interestingly, there is also a large brass clock there.

Regards

Hinrik

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hinrik

I have only just registered. I stumbled accross this site whilst researching my own clock, a Kieninger & Obergfell. This was 'acquired' by my Grandfather who served in the Royal Marines during WWII. Although it was in pretty good condition, I have had the movement checked and a cog replaced. The face was polished Brass, but is now restored with silver oxide? I have attached a photograph.

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW I MAY TRACE THE U-BOAT IT WAS ON I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO FIND OUT.

Cheers

Steve

[attachmentid=21385]

Steve,

If you do not have any dates or places know where your grandfather might of have picked up the clock, I think it will be very hard to find out which U-boat. If he was on an HMS ship, which you knew the name of, it might be easier...but Royal Marines? He could of picked it up almost anywere and from a ship for that matter.

In my expiriance, items stories have often changed in the 60+ years, since end of WWII

Regards

Hinrik

Steve,

If you do not have any dates or places know where your grandfather might of have picked up the clock, I think it will be very hard to find out which U-boat. If he was on an HMS ship, which you knew the name of, it might be easier...but Royal Marines? He could of picked it up almost anywere and from a ship for that matter.

In my expiriance, items stories have often changed in the 60+ years, since end of WWII

Regards

Hinrik

• 7 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...