News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK1 "AWS" flatback,maker marked!

"nothing spectacular" I beg to differ. This cross is exactly the type of cross I love to come across.

Dark core (no paint) and the detail of the crown is awesome. Being a not to common maker, 925

silver and engraved is just icing on the cake.

Hi Micha,

A nice looking example! I don't recall seeing an AWS flat-backed version before. All the ones I've seen have been vaulted, so a very interesting variant. That's the much less common stamped, rather than raised, maker mark isn't it?

Regards

Mike

About the stamping you are right.I haven't seen too many of them-with "flatback I've meant the "non pillowback" variation! This one is vaulted,too!But.......... :rolleyes: have a look at this one! Strange pin,totally flat,relief hallmark and the same connection between the 1 and the 9. The frame is silvered brass! And to make the confusion complete-a pillowback. From the poor quality of the cross I would put it into the 20ies...

Micha

Hi Micha,

OK, now I understand re the flat-backed comment. For me as an Australian-speaking native, I think of this type of AWS as "smooth-backed". I have one like it, but it's had a hard life.

Re the second one you show, from the scans my first impression was that the pin may be a replacement. First the tone/finish on the pin is different to the cross and second there appears to be some light scratching and "deformation" around the hinge and hinge-pin. I've seen several needle pin-back AWS crosses where the needle pin is missing, so an old replacement pin would not surpirse me.

I can only look at scans though and you have the cross in hand of course.

Regards

Mike

After looking at the pin for a while and a one to one comparison to my vaulted one I come to the result that your observation is correct! The pin is a replacement,but it fits very good in the hinge. I will try to make some pics later....anyway,now I have to look for a propper flat one !

Micha