News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need advice on the missing medal here

Hello Gents,

i have bought this bar and wish to know exactly which medal to get to replace the missing one.

Me thinks a 15Yr cross would suffice?

what are the gents ideas.?

Sorry for the poor pics, they are the sellers i will post a better pic when it gets here.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,

Paul.

Guest Rick Research

It all comes down to what FITS-- you should be able to slip something in and if the suspension ring || neatly parts the ribbons like Moses at the Red Sea and the bottom of the whatever it was lines up neatly with all the others, THAT'S what belonged there.

It's hard to tell from the first bar, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a Prussian XXV: the slight "bulge" from where the round suspension ring was underneath looks at or above the Hindenburg Cross's.

[attachmentid=15071]

I don't think a smaller XV would hang level along the bottom with the others. (Nice navy bar, BTW, and by simply sliding the replacement cross into such TIGHT ribbons it should stay hanging in there with no need for any permanent alteration in that repair.)

The Third Reich bar is easier-- you can definitely see where the suspension ring "fossilized" the folds on both sides of the ribbons, higher than the three surviving awards--

definitely a Third Reich 25 Years civil service cross unless there are pin-through holes for a missing Polizei embroidered device.

i was thinking the prussian 25 as well, but certainly the

15 would be reasonable.

should be easy to complete this already fine example.

S-man.... yer SCARIN' me with this unusual - no, UNNATURAL -

prediliction for astroturf....

is there something you aren't telling us???? :rolleyes:

roscoe

Edited by joe campbell

Guest Rick Research

REAL Stogie-Astroturf shows the REASON it is stapled down from floor to knee high in every room of the house: 7 dogs, 14 (or is it 17?) cats, 5 poorly housetrained marmosets, a retired petting zoo monkey (always leaving rhesus ... pieces around), one slightly motheaten tortoise, a rare Norwegian Blue, and now that winter has come on and the old coop burned to the ground in a careless 4 of July bonfire, the homing pigeons are all indoors too, boarded up behind the glass shower doors-- but they DO get out.

You just cannot duplicate THAT... "patina"!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Thanks Gents,

I will begin the hunt for a prussian 25Yr cross.

Stogieman, A gent by the name of Charlie Suggs sold me the bar, go easy on him, he thinks he is Lucky, as he has reached 78 with Triple bypass surgery and hip replacement etc...etc...

The second bar...hmmm, i really dont want to put a Nazi 25Yr on it....

Hmmm, one other thing, the ribbon loks like it was an afterthought, see how it should be under the HK ribbonm, Not on the top....

i will wait till this is in hand before deciding on what to put in the gap.

Regards

Paul

Hi Joe,

U mean the big bar? or the second smaller one?

i will put a 25yr on the bigger one...but will wait till the other one gets here before i decide on what to add to it..

Really dont wanna spoil it with a 25Yr nazi medal....

Cheers

Paul

Edited by notned

Guest Rick Research

Oldenburg and Hamburg are a typical navy combination rather than an army one. No real way to be sure, because there is nothing else on there "visible" from a pre-war Rank List. The wearer could have been a Major level or a Sergeant-Major level, as far as the length of service and no peacetime award goes-- more likely a Deck Officer than a commissioned officer in the navy, since the Kaiser's favorites racked up peacetime awards far more often than their long serving dirt-bound colleagues.

Gents,

I have another query....

(Should have asked this before...Duh!)

For the first bar, shall i get a 25Yr Enlisted OR Officers cross?

(still learning..and dont wanna do it wrong...) :)

and how much should i expect to pay for it?

Thanks again gents,

Best regards

Paul

Guest Rick Research

The Prussian XXV was the same for all ranks-- it just wasn't GIVEN to all ranks until after WW1. Up thtough 1914 it only went to officers and doctors, but not officials or NCOs. The regulations changed in 1914 just as ALL awards were suspended for the duration.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rick!

I have put a 15Yr cross on the bar to see how it looks....

what do the Gents think? I like it with this medal rather than a 25Yr TR item...

it seems to fit well enough but is not on the supporting ring holder...so may really have been the 25Yr TR medal. As you may have noticed...i tucked the blue ribbon behind the HK ribbon...its better and more uniform that way..dont you think?

This same 15Yr looks good on the bigger bar...and it fits in the ribbon groove really well....when you do the Moses and the red sea thang....but for Originalitys sake...i will put in a 25Yr Prussian Long service medal.

Would the Gentlemen agree with the idea of the 25Yr Prussian medal for the bigger bar?

Thankyou for your help!

Best regards

Paul