News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

All of the ribbon seems too clean and the weave is too course. And that medal back plate...I have seen bars that were hardly used that had more wear that metal. It looks like it was put together yesterday.

I also think that the hindy is hanging too tight to the bar as well.

The medals look correct.

sorry to be blunt.

Guest Rick Research

I assume the "coarse" ribbons are an artifact of how you took the image.

I find that when I try to scan ribbon bars and medal bars sideway to minimize the dark shadow, it produces the same effect. Soviet officer embroidered shoulder boards will do the same thing-- one way they look fine, the other way like shredded wheat--simply depends on how they were scanned.

I assume you do not have an Epson scanner and thus resorted to the laboriously un-necessary sizing and resizing and all that which all scanners/cameras have that are not Epson scanners. That also distorts images.

Blacklight the ribbons (which look less coarse on the back which is impossible and hence my assumption it's your image and not the original) and if no bright blue electric glow on the white stripes...

everything looks fine to me.

There shouldn't be wear on formal dress medal bars. Rarely worn and carefully stored, they OUGHT to look brand new. It's awfully sad when they're been treated badly and stored carelessly, resulting in horrid dingy dirty scruffy horrors.

These coarse ribbons are recently made- @ 10 years or so. Many come from Pakistan and India (I presume, by some medals I have).

I have myself ordered a roll of such ribbon from the manufacturer of BWM ribbon in Karachi lat year. It cost $200 for 100 yards (that's a lot of ribbon: 600 medals worth). I found the manufacturer via google.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Edited by Ulsterman

Of course! How coarse of me not to realize that's why the ribbon could look coarse. And I need to watch my spelling in due course. :lol:

I thought the metal on the back looked too bright, not any age at all. But I'm comparing them to my immediate knowledge...and those must be the ones that had a tougher life. :o

• 3 weeks later...