News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medaille Militaire 1870

ccj

Medaille Militaire 1870

I have had many over the years and I don't know how to tell an 1870 from any made up to 1845.

Does anyone know how to tell the manufacture year or are there various types that are different than mine.

Hello Charles,

Basically, there are 3 models for the M?daille Militaire : 1852, 1870 and the post-WWII model. Among these three models, it is generally accepted that 9 types exist albeit with numerous variations, luxury pieces, etc. etc. ... a very complex award :-)

Here's a 1st model (2nd type) example, easily recognizable by its eagle suspension :

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Charles,

Basically, there are 3 models for the M?daille Militaire : 1852, 1870 and the post-WWII model. Among these three models, it is generally accepted that 9 types exist albeit with numerous variations, luxury pieces, etc. etc. ... a very complex award :-)

Here's a 1st model (2nd type) example, easily recognizable by its eagle suspension :

Cheers,

Hendrik

Beautiful, French medals are very attractive. I've heard the Luxury pieces are the two sided and were only awarded to generals. Is this correct?

The "Generals'type medals" are simply very well made badges, mostly during the 1870-1940 period (IIIrd Republic).

In fact, they were made by a number of private firms, jewelers and makers of orders and decorations, and openly sold to whoever felt like having a rather better m?daille militaire. This is perfectly straighforward in the French system.

The term "Generals' m?daille militaire" comes from the fact that the m?daille militaire can only be bestowed upon a general (or a Marechal de France) who won significant battles as a commander in chief. He also had to have previously received the Grand Cross of the Legion of honor. These general officers would probably buy one of the well made badges, hence the nickname.

After WW2, both General Eisenhower and Sir Winston Churchill received the M?daille militaire as the supreme military award France could give them. Chances are they were presented with the finest types that could be found. But they might also have received a basic Mint-manufactured badge.

All this is, of course, confusing when you also know that only NCOs and rank and file are eligible to this award, either for extreme valour (the equivalent to a British DCM) and as a long and efficient service award (the equivalent to th British MSM).

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

So, are the double side types private purchase?

I thought maybe the double sided were for generals or maybe the earliest manufacture. Are the double sided much more rare than the rest? I know the standard MM are not expensive at all.

Are the double sided much more rare than the rest?

Yes they are scarce but not too much.

Since Hendrik has shown a 1st model, 2nd type, let me present a 1st type of my collection. This one is very rare and I keep it preciously:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-2068-1228064952.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2008/post-2068-1228064984.jpg

Note the eagle posture and the colors of the ribbon wich are different.

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Bison, That is a very nice MM and I don't think I've ever seen the reserse of one before. It's most attractive and detailed.

Can you post other variations of the Medaille Militaire?

Can you post other variations of the Medaille Militaire?

Ouh la la! This is a huge issue, and I am afraid that few people in France know exactly how many different variations they are.

I can start with this model of the 4th Republic, made by the jeweller Paul Delande :

Edited by Bison

O God, do you want really to kill me?

Here is a classification :

SECOND EMPIRE

1st Model ? PRESIDENCE ?

Head of Napol?on III ? mention "LOUIS NAPOLEON"

VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE

The eagle touches the medal

2nd model, "SECOND EMPIRE"

Head of Napol?on III ? mention "LOUIS NAPOLEON"

VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE

The eagle does'nt touch the medal.

IIIrd R?publique

3rd Type called "MONOBLOC AUX CANONS" single piece

Head of CERES ? mention "REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE ? 1870"

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy of arms, single face

4th Model "MONOBLOC A LA CUIRASSE" single piece

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy of arms, double face (breastplate only)

5th model "BIFACE AUX CANONS" two pieces

Head of CERES ? mention"REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE ? 1870"

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

trophy of arms articulated with a ring, double face (canons only )

6th model "BIFACE A LA CUIRASSE " two pieces

Head of CERES ? mention REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE ? 1870

VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE

trophy of arms articulated with a ring, double face (canons and breastplate)

7th model "MONOFACE A ANNEAU" two pieces

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

trophy of arms articulated with a ring, single face

8th model "MONOFACE A CHARNIERE"

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy of arms articulated with a hinge, single face

IVth & Vth R?publique (27/02/1951)

9th model, trophy single face

Head of CERES ? mention "REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE" - * (star) or***(stars) other nothing, or ?? (dots)

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy (single face) of arms articulated with a hinge or a ring...

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

IIIrd R?publique

3rd Type called "MONOBLOC AUX CANONS" single piece

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy of arms, single face

4th Model "MONOBLOC A LA CUIRASSE" single piece

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy of arms, double face (breastplate only)

5th model "BIFACE AUX CANONS" two pieces

Head of CERES ? mention"REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE ? 1870"

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

trophy of arms articulated with a ring, double face (canons only )

6th model "BIFACE A LA CUIRASSE " two pieces

Head of CERES ? mention REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE ? 1870

VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE

trophy of arms articulated with a ring, double face (canons and breastplate)

7th model "MONOFACE A ANNEAU" two pieces

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

trophy of arms articulated with a ring, single face

8th model "MONOFACE A CHARNIERE"

"VALEUR ET DISCIPLINE"

Trophy of arms articulated with a hinge, single face

IS THERE A BOOK OR REFERENCE THAT SHOWS THESE 6 MODELS OF THE III REPUBLIC?

Would the 7th or 8th model would be WW1?

Edited by ccj

This last picture is the MONOBLOC AUX CANONS type, also known as "Versaillaise" since it was also given to the troups who crushed the "Commune de Paris" battle in May 1871. These were regular army under the orders of the French Government whose seat was in Versailles, a few miles west of Paris.

It usually is rather poor workmanship, and really quite valuable. Possibly the second rarest type after the Presidence type shown by Bison. This third type was in use for a short period after 1870-71, the early years of the IIIrd Republic.

Congratulations, a very nice badge

Veteran

This last picture is the MONOBLOC AUX CANONS type, also known as "Versaillaise" since it was also given to the troups who crushed the "Commune de Paris" battle in May 1871. These were regular army under the orders of the French Government whose seat was in Versailles, a few miles west of Paris.

It usually is rather poor workmanship, and really quite valuable. Possibly the second rarest type after the Presidence type shown by Bison. This third type was in use for a short period after 1870-71, the early years of the IIIrd Republic.

Congratulations, a very nice badge

Veteran

Actually Veteran, it's not my medal because I've been reluctant to buy it because of the high price. I don't know the correct value for this or other double or semi double sided medals.

Guest Darrell

Great thread guys.

Can you fill in the dates for the:

FIRST EMPIRE

SECOND EMPIRE

IIIrd R?publique

IVth R?publique

Vth R?publique

Merci :)

Hello Darrell,

It's just a wee more diversified, I think :

1st Republic (1792-1804)

1st Empire (1804-1815)

Restoration (1815-1830)

July Monarchy (1830-1848)

2nd Republic (1848-1852)

2nd Empire (1852-1870)

3rd Republic (1870-1947, incl. Vichy & Prov. Gov.)

4th Republic (1947-1959)

5th Republic (1959-now)

I would appreciate Bison and/or Veteran checking this for accuracy ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hendrik's information is basically right. I might simply add or change the following :

Restoration really was 1814-1830 with the short 100 Days period (March 1815) when Napoleon came back from the Island of Elba to be sent to Saint-Helena after Waterloo (June 1815). During that period the King Louis XVIII was in exile in Gent.

The IIIrd Republic was formally founded in 1875 and probably one should consider 1940 as its end. That year, the French State was established by the Government of Marshall P?tain who had received full powers from the French Parlement.

The 1943-1947 period is extremely difficult to describe. But it certainly was not the IIIrd Republic anymore.

Except for these small details, I fully agree with Hendrik, who obviously has a remarkable command of the recent history of France. Congratulations.

Veteran