News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spain - Medal to a Swedish Professor

christerd

Hi , is there any with knowledge of Spanish Medals out there?

Here is a Medal for the 100 years memory of Battle of Zaragosa 1808-1908 (If I am correct?)

It was given to a Swedish Professor Arthur Stille 1863-1922 ( I think the case is private purchased)

Does anyone know something about this medal? What kind of people got it , and is it worth anything?

Best regards from Sweden

Christer

Please see:

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/odm5.htm

Yes, this a one of some of Commemorative medals for the Centennial of the Peninsular War.

In this case for the of the Sites of Zaragoza, created by Royal decree of 9 of July of 1908

Granted to the people has collaborated in the commemorative celebrations

The Medal has 3 centimeters of diameter

Obverse: bust of general Palafox, surrounded by inscription PALAFOX GLORIOUS ? LAUDEMUS VIROS

Reverse: allegory of the defense -one matrona with a lion and a flag, on a ruin background- and legend CIVES FALLS. AUG. 1908

Ribbon: of the national flags

Exist for gold, silver and bronze

Edited by Antonio Prieto

Exist the same, with the red ribbon with a yellow central stripe for the descendants of the heroes of Independence

An also exist other variant (2nd type). It seems that this medal is made in March of 1908 by the 'Casa Rodriguez and Co' of Barcelona, due to the protests that the previous design generated. One is then the second commemorative medal, naturally unofficial

Exist the same, with the red ribbon with a yellow central stripe for the descendants of the heroes of Independence

An also exist other variant (2nd type). It seems that this medal is made in March of 1908 by the 'Casa Rodriguez and Co' of Barcelona, due to the protests that the previous design generated. One is then the second commemorative medal, naturally unofficial

:beer:

Thanks Antonio!

Now I know much more about this medal, the funny thing is that I bought it in Sweden as a French medal :speechless1:

Thanks again

All the best from the North

Christer