News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have a list of units, by battalion and kompany that made up the Alpen=Korps. My question is how can I determine what regiment the specific companies belonged to. For example which Bayern Pionier Battalion did kompanies 101, 102 105 and 106 belong to?

Hello Paul.

Based on the OoB of 1.Aug.1915 listed in the book "Das Deutsche Alpenkorps im Ersten Weltkrieg" by Roland Kaltenegger the following Pio.Kompanien were part of the Alpenkorps as individual/separate companies:

Pi.K. 101, 102, 105 , 106 and 9 ( this unit left later in the year).No affiliations with a Pio.Btl. or other higher echelon formation were given which leads me to believe that they were "independent "companies.

The OoB of 31.Jul.1916 lists only b.Pi.K. 102 and Pi.K. 263.

The OoB of Spring 1918 lists b.Pi.K.9, b.Pi.K.102 and Pi.K.233.

So apparently Pionier units were shifted around.

Bernhard H. Holst

Guest Rick Research

... which does not mean that the specific officers assigned were regulars. "Spin offs" were more likely to have been wartime reserve officers just on statistical grounds.

That is the problem with "micro" units-- despite their cadre affiliation.