News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EPAULETS , Napoleonic ? can anyone confirm date of these please !

Hello Steve,

I would guess 1840-1860ish based on the American boards. :speechless1: I have never seen metal epaulettes for the Napoleonic French. I've always been told that the cavalry and artillery used these type boards to protect during cavalry slashes.

just guessing,

barry

American Lobster boards

Edited by Bear

I too are under the impression they may actually be later rather than Napoleonic, but I have none of my uniform books with me. The date Bear has given for similar boards on US uniforms seems to ring a bell with similar boards being worn by the British Army during the same time period.

At the same time a castle wasn't peculiar to the 27th(Inniskillings) as it can also be found with the Suffolks, Northamptonshire, Dorsetshire Regiments and would have thought it would have been accompanied by a Foot number and perhaps "Enniskillen" as seen on the plate. At the same time, with the other three units with castle as part of their badge again a Foot number and perhaps "Gibraltar"; "Talavera" or "Primus in Indus" to identify the unit in question. Have you contacted any of these Regimental Museums relating to your items?

The castle looks similar to the later standardised "Gibralter" castle, as it lacks a flag atop the central turret.

The pre standardised castles were two turret versions for the Suffolks & the Dorsetshires, 3 turrets with central flag for the Northamptonshires & the Essex (although the Essex had a two turret version on a helmet plate centre).

My first thoughts without comparing images were that it looks very similar to the collar badge of the Suffolks.