News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Confusing death notice...

Chris Boonzaier

Chris

Your question is understandable.

The story is possibly this : although he was attached to the 42nd R?giment d'Infanterie to which he had probably been called up as a reservist in 1914, he was because of his age or other reasons in the small town of Ternas (Pas de Calais) in the Somme area. The term "en sursis" means he was temporarily "relieved" from military obligations without being struck from the Regimental roll.

He was therefore considered to still be with the military, when he was wounded by shell fire from which he later died in the local hospital. Ternas was probably sufficiently close to the front line at the time to be under direct fire from the German artillery (some of their heavy guns could shoot as far as 25 kilometers or more).

Now, since he was not on the front and probably not in direct miltary employment, his death was considered not to entitle his family to a war pension (victime civile), but rather like any other local resident who could have been a victim to a random bombardment on the town. Some other type of conpensation may have existed for "victimes civiles".

He nevertheless seems to have rated a death notice in military papers, simply to explain why he could not turn up if he was recalled to his Regiment.

Interesting paperwork and an unusual situation. It may have also existed for men who were accidentally killed or died of illness while on leave.

Thank for sharing

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

That is interesting.

Did you see the tag I bought and posted here recently Chris? He died by drowning after receiving a vaccination.

Tony

quick edit - it was his death notice I posted, I only just picked up his tag from my mum's.

Edited by Tony