News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on 1870/71 clasp entitlement

As I dig about and get caught up on cataloging, old items (near-forgotten) float to the surface and bring questions with them.

As I read Rick's interesting thread on clasp entitlements for the 1870/71 medal, I generate a theory of "17th Infantry Division". How wrong am I?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hmmmm... what is really interesting is that many of the 17th ID got additional bars for operations (Orleans, Le Mans etc.).

The Loigny-Poupry clasp is rarish: Mecklenb.-Dragoner Regt. 17/18 or..

a big wound?

He may, with luck and MUCH effort , be findable, as Glenns' 1870 EK2 list would narrow the search.

Then through a process of exclusion ( prior to 1917 death, additional medals, 1866 service etc. etc.. )

A retired Major's bar?

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

There is no long service award so I'd say a former active officer who left early, then in some sort of civil service job where the KO4 was his career "glass ceiling."

The poor old War Effort Cross ended up allllll over the place--nobody paid any attention to where it was SUPPOSED to be.

The oddball mounting suggests that his perfectly nice pre-WW1 bar was simply "skinned alive" and placed intact on that backing, with the War Effort Cross improvized as some sort of cheapo "economy" measure. He was old and possibly retired by then, pinchin pennies.

This could even date from the 1920s and again simply be a penny-pincher from Anything Goes days.

As I dig about and get caught up on cataloging, old items (near-forgotten) float to the surface and bring questions with them.

As I read Rick's interesting thread on clasp entitlements for the 1870/71 medal, I generate a theory of "17th Infantry Division". How wrong am I?

"old items (near-forgotten) float to the surface" WOW! If you nearly forgot about this one, I would like to rummage around your collection some time :D Nice bar.

And to HeikoGrusdat's point...by 1914 this guy was old.

Hmmmm... what is really interesting is that many of the 17th ID got additional bars for operations (Orleans, Le Mans etc.).

The Loigny-Poupry clasp is rarish: Mecklenb.-Dragoner Regt. 17/18 or..

a big wound?

He may, with luck and MUCH effort , be findable, as Glenns' 1870 EK2 list would narrow the search.

Then through a process of exclusion ( prior to 1917 death, additional medals, 1866 service etc. etc.. )

A retired Major's bar?

BTW: Pardon my ignorance, what is "Glenns' 1870 EK2 list"? Is this a book? Can it be purchased? I would like to look up Johann Karl Blume of the 77th Hanoverian Regiment in the F-P war.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

The sales thread has presumably been swept out. You can order the CD from Glenn J. Due to current work situation, he is usually only online weekends. Leave him a PM. :beer:

BTW: Pardon my ignorance, what is "Glenns' 1870 EK2 list"? Is this a book? Can it be purchased? I would like to look up Johann Karl Blume of the 77th Hanoverian Regiment in the F-P war.

Thanks

He is # 2965 on the EK2 award list: an Unterofficer

He is # 2965 on the EK2 award list: an Unterofficer

Korrekt. A corporal in charge of eight men. At the Battle of Spichern they broken into the open and attacked homesteads that laid along a main road leading to the border. After a fight to capture the buildings from the enemy, the French, in contrast to their defensive tact they exhibited earlier that day, took the offensive to regain the lost buildings.

Firing with their Chassepot rifles that had over twice the range of the German's Needle guns, Blume's men and the other seven companies inside had to endure the pounding without effective response. Twice the French infantry assaulted the homesteads and twice they were fought off. Afternoon turned to evening. From out of the setting sun, the French Calvary charged from down the west road and plowed into the Hanoverian's position.

They were repelled. This allowed additional German units to move through the farm houses and onto the slopes that flanked the French's fortified and elevated position on the Heights. Other units went west and fought into the nearby village of Sterling and a forge's slag heaps. In the twilight the battle was over as the French surrendered the field.

(this is the abbr. version from my memory)

Does #2965 on the list mean anything? Does the listing have any other details? Anything...?

Guest Rick Research

It is simply a sort of alphabetical (rank and regiment precedence being more important than first names) listing, so it's easy to tell totals on the last page of each type of EK listed. There are no award dates.

This is a sample that I happen to have scanned:

One of the most important things aabout this list is that in contrast to the usual Prussian omission of first names :banger: this has them. ACTUAL wartime units are also shown.