News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here are two documents that I am hoping can be assessed by forum members as to whether or not they are genuine or reproduction. Unfortunately, I do not have the reference books nor the experience on points to watch-for to determine originality. Comments will be appreciated accordingly.

1. Demjanskschild. Measures 148mm x 210mm. Facsimile signature of General Graf Brockdorff and the verifying signature of an Oberleutnant that appears to be hand-signed in ink. It bears the stamp of the Gen. Kdo. Second Army Corps. The paper of this document is a lighter quality versus the heavier card stock.

2. Winterschlacht im Osten. Measures 138mm x 195mm. Hand-signed signature of an SS-Untersturmfuehrer and a stamp of the SS-Totenkopf-Division. The paper is card stock variety.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Burchell

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen an ARMY issued document which had PRINTED "SS-" for rank to be filled in. :rolleyes:

The other one looks dodgy to me as well-- divisional stamp with a lowly and odd looking signature.

I was just at a show this past Sunday with somebody cheerfully banging away on an "SS key" German typewriter "filling in" fake blank documents to be "stamped" as desired.

First one is fine IMHO, have seen another one just like it ages ago, I would be happy with it.

2nd one ... hmmm... I dont know anythng about TK stamps, but these were signed sometimes by rather low officers ...

After my usual - initial- "not good" thought.... I begin to think they are both good.

Thanks very much, Rick and Chris, for your feedback and comments. The only two books that I have on award documents are the Forman book (Vol. 1, 1st edition) and the one by Emily Caldwell Stewart. While these books are not of great help in making a determination as to period authenticity, both do recognize and show examples of a specific SS award document for the Demjansk shield (pages 266 and 132 respectively) that appear identical in format to mine shown above. Stewart states:

"Since the 3 SS-Panzer Division Totenkopf participated in this campaign, a special Demjansk Shield document was created for them. It was similar to other Demjansk Shield documents, but had the SS runes printed on it."

Edited by John Burchell