News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Verdun bunkers

most trench photos evoke boredom or terror or

misery or carnage....

these evoke dispassionate, methodical planning and

reemphasize to me the grand scale of the lack of

thought for the lowest common denominator - the trooper.

eerie.

joe

Joe,

I think as a trooper I'd be pretty happy there. I see duckboards and what look like the entrancres to big bunkers--dry feet and cover--always good :)

Paul

Joe,

I think as a trooper I'd be pretty happy there. I see duckboards and what look like the entrancres to big bunkers--dry feet and cover--always good :)

Paul

Indeed.

And what is an interesting thought, these are not like is so often seen bunkers in the sides of a hill.

I imagine in 1919 or so they just filled this up with sand and bomb debris and there are big underground hollows there today..... with beds, stoves, bits of mouldy cloth and the occasional long forgotten body....

Indeed.

And what is an interesting thought, these are not like is so often seen bunkers in the sides of a hill.

I imagine in 1919 or so they just filled this up with sand and bomb debris and there are big underground hollows there today..... with beds, stoves, bits of mouldy cloth and the occasional long forgotten body....

Chris,

I guess it would depend on the construction. I know there are complete bunker complexes still at Verdun. I had a friend who did his doctorate research there in the forests (hard work, but someone has to do it) and he did some exploration of these complexes.

Paul