News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

In my endless surfing I came across this unusual photo of 2 German Red Cross Workers and a heavily wounded soldier. The more I looked, the less I could figure out. What is the uniform/nationality of the wounded chap? What is that odd crossed (??) on his sleeve?

How the heck did he smoke with all thos bandages on his face?????????

It's called the Richard Prior facial!

The insignia is unofficial and one of many that were authorized by divisional commanders, etc. One noteworthy example was the 12th Division, which further identified its units by sewing loops of different colored cloth at the base of the shoulder straps (I have three such examples, two from infantry regiments and one from the stretcher bearer company). Another division wore something similar to the soldier in your photo, that is, a combination of geometric shapes on the sleeve to denote the unit within the division.

This soldier has a shoulder board that looks like it might have the edging braid (Tresse) and metal unit number of an Offizierstellvertreter.

Chip

Chip,

I saw what looks like tresse too. However there is no tresse or rank buttons on the collar. There are also loops for something that is not there, but they look too far apart to be an EK. Strange. He is also wearing those odd side lace shoes that you see in some photos.

Ok, I got it. His head wound was so bad that his original uniform was blood soaked. So they gave him an enlisted tunic and he salvaged his shoulderboards and put them on it to show his rank. While he was being operated on, a medical orderly stole his boots and all they had to fit him was those sorry POS shoes. He is shown here complaining to the doctor :angry: and they are laughing at him before he gets on the hospital train for home. :lol:

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Chip,

I was just joking about the photo, which is a very nice one, I might add. I have seen those shoes in several photos that I have. I knew the french had barracks shoes, and I had thought they were something similar. The one great thing about period photos, is that you can see men wearing items and doing things you might have thought odd. I have had people tell me, the German soldier never wears his collar unhooked or never stands with his hands in his pockets. Yet I have seen photos of them doing both. Thanks for the info.

Dan Murphy

Hi Rick,

Here's some anwsers I got with some friends:

"The boots appear to be 1893 pattern side-laced boots worn with some kind of puttees. The jacket looks like a Model 1907 field-gray tunic with Swedish cuffs. That thingummy on the left sleeve is puzzling indeed. Maybe safety pins left over from a bandage or a patched tear in the sleeve?"

"My guess is that the sleeve insignia is an unofficial unit identification.

I have never seen anything quite like those leggings. They resemble the thin leather of period Russian boots. Too bad we cannot see how they are attached."

Otto