News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mexico - Post independence decorations

Does anyone have details about the decorations and medals of Mexico for the independence period up to 1830?

I cannot find details anywhere online.

The Order of Guadalupe is fairly well known and I found a good deal about them. However, there were also a number of purely military decorations and medals. There were seven crosses (or stars) which seem to pertain to particular battles. Of these I have found information on three:

The Tepeaca Cross (Crucero de Tepeaca): awarded to officers and men who served with distinction during the defence of Tepeaca under General Herrera 20th-21st April 1821 when the independence forces were defeated by the Spanish.

The Cordova Star (Estrella de C?rdoba): awarded to officers and men of the 9th Division of the Ej?rcito Trigarante (army of the three guarantees: religion, independence and unity) in the actions against the Spanish forces at the City of C?rdoba 16th to 21st May 1821.

The Juchi Cross (Crucero de Juchi): awarded to officers and men who took part in suppressing the uprising by the withdrawing Spanish forces led by Colonel Francisco Buceli at Juchi on 2nd April 1822.

Any information on the other four crosses or on the medals would be appreciated.

With thanks,

James

Does anyone have details about the decorations and medals of Mexico for the independence period up to 1830?

I cannot find details anywhere online.

The Order of Guadalupe is fairly well known and I found a good deal about them. However, there were also a number of purely military decorations and medals. There were seven crosses (or stars) which seem to pertain to particular battles. Of these I have found information on three:

The Tepeaca Cross (Crucero de Tepeaca): awarded to officers and men who served with distinction during the defence of Tepeaca under General Herrera 20th-21st April 1821 when the independence forces were defeated by the Spanish.

The Cordova Star (Estrella de C?rdoba): awarded to officers and men of the 9th Division of the Ej?rcito Trigarante (army of the three guarantees: religion, independence and unity) in the actions against the Spanish forces at the City of C?rdoba 16th to 21st May 1821.

The Juchi Cross (Crucero de Juchi): awarded to officers and men who took part in suppressing the uprising by the withdrawing Spanish forces led by Colonel Francisco Buceli at Juchi on 2nd April 1822.

Any information on the other four crosses or on the medals would be appreciated.

With thanks,

James

The main reference for these items is Frank W. Groves Medals of Mexico Vol. III, 1974, IBSN 0-88242-005-4

Cruz de Toluca 19 June 1821;

Cruz de Azcapotzalco, Ist, 2nd and 3rd class 19 August 1821;

Medal for the Siege of Durango 30 August-3 September 1821;

Cruz de Independencia, Triple Garantia 1a Epocha (2 varieties)

Medal of the same in silver and bronze 2 varieities Spanish and Latin legends;

Medal for 2a Epocha, 2 varieties as before, silver and bronze;

Cruz de Veracruz 27 October 1822 (authorised 1840);

Cruz de Uluia 25 September 1823-23 November 1825, two varieties one authorises 1840 (also Spanish silver medal for the action)

Tampico Medal 1829, gold, silver and bronze.

Hope this helps,

Paul

I have found a set of illustrations of some of these crosses and wonder if we could put names to those that I cannot identify.

Upper row:

Item 1- Cruz de la Independencia Mexicana.

Item 2 - Crucero de Tepeaca.

Item 3 - Estrella de C?rdoba.

Item 4 - ?

Lower row:

Item 1 - ?

Item 2 - Crucero de Juchi.

Item 3 - ?

There also appears to have been a decoration mentioned in the biographies of some of the generals of the independence period as the Medalla de los Libertadores de M?xico. Was this the same as one of those already listed by Paul or something different?

Cheers

James