News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Battalion level citation...

Chris Boonzaier

No, those people received a citation at regimental level (or above...) (for example for the "bataillons de chasseurs ? pied").

Noir 7

I agree with noir7, the very first level for a "citation' (litterally mention in dispaches) was the "unit? formant corps". This was currently the regiment. Traditionnally, certain corps or services could be independant at battallion level such as the Chasseurs ? pied, Chasseurs alpins, Infanterie l?g?re d'Afrique, bataillons m?dicaux.

The mentions would then be established by their command, but the citation would be known as Regiment (or possibly Half-Brigade with the Chasseurs) level.

It really did not matter much, since Regimental and Brigade levels were considered to be nearly equivalent, with the same bronze star denoting the type of citation on the croix de guerre ribbon.

Regards

Veteran

Hello Chris

Nice document. The citation was issued by the Commandant of a "bataillon formant corps" (I could not read the complete stampted name of this unit, could you please write it out ?).

The ribbon of his croix de guerre would then sport a bronze star.

Just consider this as a variant of a citation ? l'ordre du r?giment.

Regards

Veteran

Hi,

it's a very nice document... and an exception. I have checked today the decision that organised the "croix de guerre 1914-1918" (d?cret du 23 avril 1915), and the battalion level doesn't exist! Normally, this leutnant should have receive a regimental level mention.

Best