News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Alexander Nevsky to Guards Sr Lt Fedan

Gents

I had my most prized possession researched and finally translated. An Order of Alexander Nevsky Type 3 awarded to Guards Sr Lt Fedan, Emel'an Nikolaevich, Commander of the 273rd Guard Flak Artillery (85mm guns). This is what the award was issued for:

"During the breakthrough of the enemy defense in the approaches to Berlin and during the advance on Berlin the battery of Guards Senior Lieutenant Fedan, moving in the battle order of the forward troops, surely covered them from the actions of enemy aircraft.

19.04.45 in the region of city of Munheberg more than 18 FW-190 attacked a column of tanks and the fire positions of the battery. In the spite of the fact that the enemy planes were diving on the fire positions of the battery Guards Senior Lieutenant Fedan, showed extraordinary courage and presence of mind, in proper time opened fire and skillfully directed it against the large group of enemy planes, repelled their attacks from some different directions that were made simultaneously. Due the exact fire of the battery which was opened in a proper time the enemy planes were scattered and were not let to make aimed throwing of their bombs on our troops, and their bombs which were thrown in disarray didn't cause any damage. At that the battery shot down (2, 3 or 4) enemy planes.

In the current time in the streets of Berlin Guards Senior Lieutenant Fedan continues to beat enemy with his battery skillfully and with fortitude. Moving in the battle orders of our troops, the battery provided the safe covering of them in all the stages of the combats for Berlin.

Repelling mass attacks of enemy aircraft against a crossing of our troops through the river of Spree in the region of Berlin's suburb Treptow and against the battle orders of our troops in the region to the north from airport Tempelgof (a district of Berlin) Guards Senior Lieutenant Fedan had provided the safe covering of our troops, not letting enemy to bomb them, and shot down 3 enemy planes during those actions. It was done due to the opening of fire in a proper time, well-aimed shooting, the courage of the personnel [of the battery], and the brave moving of the battery in the battle orders of our troops.

Due its brave actions the battery of Guards Senior Lieutenant Fedan in many respects assisted the success of our troops in the combats for Berlin and in the approaches to it."

This was the second act of bravery done in a few months. He had been recommended for a Red Star but was awarded the Nevsky instead.

Guest Rick Research

Great citation and one thing we can always expect from a Nevsky is being EARNED!!!!

I assume from the stamp sized photo you also got his personnel records for the rest of his career?

Great citation and one thing we can always expect from a Nevsky is being EARNED!!!!

I assume from the stamp sized photo you also got his personnel records for the rest of his career?

Yes I did. I got everything from the Archives.

:Cat-Scratch: We like stories. Tell us his story! :cheers:

Fedan, Emel'an Nikolaevich was born in the Ukraine in 1917. He entered the Red Army in 1938 and began his career as an artillery officer in the The 86th Separate Flak Artillery Battalion, the 2nd Rifle Corps on the 29th of september 1938. He joined the Communist Party in May of 1940. When Barbarossa was unleashed he was a platoon second in command with the same unit on the Western front. On October 15th 1941, he was promoted to platoon commander still with the 86th. In 1942, he became a political officer and was assigned to the 927th Rifle Regiment, the 25th Rifle Division, the 20th army, the Western Front. On the 6th of August 1942, he wsa wounded and evacuated to a hospital in Gorky. After his convalescence, he was placed in reserve where he served with a few units. On the 3rd of May 1944, he was assigned to the 273rd Flak Artillery Regiment of the 4th Flak Artillery Division Regiment of the 1st Tank Army of the Reserve of Supreme Command of the 1st Byelorussian Front, the Group of Soviet Occupational Troops in Germany, as a platoon commander (battery of 85mm guns), until 1946 where he was transferred to Reserve and allowed to return home. He was recalled in September of 1949 where he was assigned to the HQ of the Black Sea Fleet. From 1949 to 1956, he was assigned to several anti-aircraft units in the Black Sea Fleet. On the 29th of November 1957, he was sent back to reserve for good. Here are his awards:

1. Order of Patriotic War 2nd Class awarded on 26th February 1945

2. Order of Alexander Nevsky awarded on the 4th of June 1945

3. Medal for Combat Service awarded on 26 February 1953

4. Order of the red Star awarded on 30 December 1956.

Guest Rick Research

That's interesting with the three years gap in service 1946-49! :Cat-Scratch: Does it give any explanation for that or just leave it as a gap?

Did he transfer into the NAVY/Marines when he came back? :speechless1: What were his promotion dates?

This is a very interesting and unusual career! :beer:

I'll have to do more reading. I am curious to find out what the combat service medal and the Red Star were for. I am assuming that the Combat Service was for his 15 years in the Red Army?? But what about the Red Star? In 1956, I can also assume it was awarded for service in the Red Army?? I'll do more digging and report my findings back here.

Guest Rick Research

Yup, but the Military Merit Medal was for 10 years (in his case, rather delayed in 1953!) and the Red Star was one of the last given for 15 years service-- that one adds up nicely. They often seem to be a year or so off, must have been a question of missing some sort of application deadline and having to wait for the next mass bestowal.

I don't know what your Red Star's serial number was, but I've seen over 100,000 of them awarded on 30 December 1956-- 3,446,651 to 3,554,670, at least!

Yup, but the Military Merit Medal was for 10 years (in his case, rather delayed in 1953!) and the Red Star was one of the last given for 15 years service-- that one adds up nicely. They often seem to be a year or so off, must have been a question of missing some sort of application deadline and having to wait for the next mass bestowal.

I don't know what your Red Star's serial number was, but I've seen over 100,000 of them awarded on 30 December 1956-- 3,446,651 to 3,554,670, at least!

Here is the number: Order of the Red Star number 3413465. BTW I entered this number and his OPW 2nd class number in the appropriate thread. Would love to get my hands on these awards to get the group back together.

So since he joined in 1938, 10 years would bring him to 1948 and 15 years to 1953. Since the awards were given to him in 1953 and 1956, I am wondering why would there have been a delay of 5 years for his combat service and a further 3 year delay for the Red Star? Bureaucracy?

Guest Rick Research

That expands 30.12.56 a bit! :cheers:

But you said he was discharged from 1946 and rejoined in 1949-- THERE is the 3 year gap. 1938-46, and 1949-57 makes 2 years late for his MMM and right on for his ORS.

That expands 30.12.56 a bit! :cheers:

But you said he was discharged from 1946 and rejoined in 1949-- THERE is the 3 year gap. 1938-46, and 1949-57 makes 2 years late for his MMM and right on for his ORS.

I had completely forgotten about his reserve years. :speechless: You are correct.

That's for sure. I was checking a dealer's website tonight and an Order like mine is worth way much that what I paid for it about 8 months ago. This raise in price has pretty much halted my collecting of other Orders.