News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NEED OPINION ON MEDAL BAR

Guest Rick Research

Is this a particularly likely combination for somebody with over 15 but under 20 years of service? I never SEE DDR mounted rows around where I live :( so as an interested sidelines observer I don't have any experience in this era of German groups. It just seems to me that generally one finds the typical Communist array of endlessly duplicated long service awards with the routine NVA Verdienstmedaillen (absent here between that 15 and the Good Stuff) and not much for real DECORATIONS like this one.

Would a 15-to-19-years type HAVE a Waffenbr?derschaft 2nd Class? Or SKIP the NVA Merit Medals that always seem to "shadow" the lower long service medals?

Rick,

At first sight this appears to be an uncommon medal bar and it is. However, it would be reasonable to expect a bar like this to be worn on the Grosse Gesellschaftsanzug. Medals were worn with this "social" order of dress but it is quite normal to see only four medals worn in a single row. It would be for a senior officer, Colonel, Major General, so what medals you wore would be pretty much up to the individual. Not many people were likely to questions his or her choice at this rank.

cabbell2207,

I can not comment on the colour of a ribbon from a photo. Especially since I am not really sure what your problem is. If the fading, dirt etc. is not the same on all of the medals, and if that is your problem, then it is probably a made up bar. If the mounting bar on the back has any bends in it, no matter how small, then it has probably been put together by an enterprising collector or dealer. Unless it came with iron clad provenance bars like this are always suspect to me.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig