News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New WW1 records discovered....

Morning Guys,

I`ve just been reading on the BBC (Sky red button news link), that a batch of previously unknown records have been found in the archives of the Red Cross, which have laid undisturbed since 1918. It is believed that they hold a wealth of information for researchers. Thought you someone on the forum might be interest.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

Yes it's currently the subject of discussion on the GWF. This 'discovery' isn't what it seems, as it seems some of us were quizzing the IRC about these records years ago. I was asking questions about POW's lists in 1989 and the answer then was only "information can be given to blood relatives". Fortunately those I've helped find their relatives who were POW's got some good results from the IRC records, but it's annoying to hear that 'no-one has ever asked about them', which isn't strictly true, we've actually been "denied access".

Hi Gordon,

Yes it's currently the subject of discussion on the GWF. This 'discovery' isn't what it seems, as it seems some of us were quizzing the IRC about these records years ago. I was asking questions about POW's lists in 1989 and the answer then was only "information can be given to blood relatives". Fortunately those I've helped find their relatives who were POW's got some good results from the IRC records, but it's annoying to hear that 'no-one has ever asked about them', which isn't strictly true, we've actually been "denied access".

I gather from the Today programme on radio 4 that they are going to be digitalised, a process which should take around 4 years but I gather the WW2 records will take many many years and only the younger members of this forum wiull be around when that happens. They also have a lot of unpublished place and date of death and burial locations.

Paul

Paul