News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Belgian decoration please

I need a little help in positively identifying this Belgian decoration. I'm assuming it is similar to the French Academic Palm.

Garth

Hi Garth,

It has nothing watsoever to do with the french palms.

This is not an official award.

It is a membership medal for one the veteran associations for military personnel that was stationned in occupied Germany.

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell the official name/title of this medal and does it have any collector value/

Thanks in advance,

Garth

It is a Belgian veteran medal. the Veterans occupied a part of Germany after WWI and after WWII.

The veterans formed a group:

in French: Union nationale des anciens de l'occupation commonly known as UNAO.

Veterans of the occupation of the Rhineland.

They have medals, crosses and palms for service after WWI and for service after WWII.

offcial name: silver palms of the UNAO

It certainly has a value for collectors of unofficial Belgian medals:

Veteranen van het Rijnland bezettingsleger ? Union Nationale des anciens d?occupation

• 4 months later...

QUOTE (Garth Thompson @ Apr 8 2009, 17:01 ) Can anyone tell the official name/title of this medal and does it have any collector value/

Thanks in advance,

Garth

Yes, collector value! Here are some from my collection.

Very nice sets, the good thing about these medals is that the tradition continues and that the successor of the UNAO now also

has medals for service in the BRD and service in other countries (Congo, Benin, former Zaire, Congo Brazaville, UN missions, ...)

during the Cold War in the 60's, the 70's, the 80's and the 90's.

They have a specific medal for service in the BRD during the cold war period.

The silver palms of the Rhine occupation army from Garth (first picture) is one pre WWII so for

service in Germany after WWI.

I also discovered a fourth class: golden palms of the rhine occupation army with a rosette on the ribbon.

Never a dull moment with Belgian medals. :lol: