News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hard as nails...

Chris Boonzaier

Hello Chris

You are quite right, this man seems to have made his carreer with the Bat'd'Af and wound up as an officer.

The NCOs and officers were naturally not drawn from the men who were serving their military obilgations with the Batd'Afs. They either volonteered from other units or were assigned to such commands. Generally speaking, they were picked because they were strict disciplinarians and had proven their capacity to handle tough caracters.

A very unusual and significant group of scarce documents. The carreer of this officer could probably be traced from the Service Historique de l'Arm?e at Vincennes, near Paris..... once they will have recovered from moving from one side of the yard to their new location and will have had the time to find their bearings there.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

• 8 months later...

Hi Chris

I am sorry to say that I have no knowledge of professionnal researchers working at the Service Historique de l'Armée. This is far from being as well established in France as it is with our British friends.

Best regards

Paul

I did some research for a lady whose grandfather was with the 3e BILA. He'd enlisted in the Navy, was convicted of theft, sentenced to five years in the BILA, deserted, married in England, and then during the First War surrendered himself to the French consul. He was returned to the 3e BILA, and was killed with them at Prosnes in 1917.

I did some research for a lady whose grandfather was with the 3e BILA. He'd enlisted in the Navy, was convicted of theft, sentenced to five years in the BILA, deserted, married in England, and then during the First War surrendered himself to the French consul. He was returned to the 3e BILA, and was killed with them at Prosnes in 1917.

Hi,

I was reading an article somewhere about descisions of French military courts in the 1900... some of the cases were pretty heavy. Guy took a few drinks from the officers mess... landed up in a disciplinary battalion for 5 years etc. etc.

Best

Chris

• 7 months later...

Here is an original print, numbered 51/100 and signed by the artist Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen. Steinlen did a series on the war and he died in 1923.

This one is from a soldier of the Bat d'af... I suppose it is a stereotype as he has his loot with him...

• 2 years later...