News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish Made M42 converted to Wehrmacht

Hello again gents, finally got a new Mac and high speed internet, so I have a few new things to post over the next couple months (gradually). First up is this interesting wartime Spanish made Modello Z M42 style helmet converted to Wehrmacht. I know for certain this is a very early wartime production Modello Z due to the liner style and age of helmet. What is uncertain is when this helmet was converted to Nazi Germany. I will post a few detailed pics on the conversion to hopefully get some expert info on this one. The decal appears to be very old and the paint job is just as old. Also take note of the liner and how old the rivets are and how the paint job appears to have been done pre-application of the liner (or it was taken out long ago and reattached after painting). Not sure if its 1950's movie prop old or wartime old though :unsure:

First pic is the side view with the decal.

Here is a close up of the decal. It appears to have been retouched with some sort of paint. I am no expert, but the original decal is white and it looks like a metallic gold paint (or cover decal?) was applied on top of it. It shows all the spidering and wear of an old decal I believe.

Here is the interesting part, note the condition and wear of the liner and the felt pads in the helmet. This helmet was obviously worn for quite a bit as it shows sweat stains and aging (ugly black stains). There is rust between the liner and helmet, closer look at that next post.

Ok, here is the last pic, of the other side of the helmet. So what are your thoughts? It was definitely converted but I think the wear etc. could point to the conversion being done late-war. Many other countries helmets (French, Czech etc helmets) were converted for civilian and non-front line personnel. I got this (and a high ranking East German Border Guards Medical officers uniform) off of the son of the supposed owner of this helmet and uniform whom I also assume was a German Army medical officer or something similar in ww2 as well. This could be the valid explanation for the conversion and light wear that would accompany a medical official who didn't visit the front very often. This is what I was told from the son. The owner of the helmet and uniforms name was Dieter Otto if anyone has research links. This obviously isn't a M42/79 refurb and by the looks of everything the conversion wasn't done any time recently. Thanks in advance for any help on this piece. By the way, I didn't spend authentic German M42 money for this either, just slightly over what an original Spanish wartime M42 usually goes for.

It's good to be back!

Pat

Just the story from the previous owner (who by in no way were collectors or anything). They had his fathers helmet (this one), a Russian Bayonet and the East German uniform which all belonged to his father (a german immigrant to Canada, no details, but his name is Dieter Otto.) My curiosity on the helmet comes from the authentic aging and decal of the helmet, plus the details I mentioned earlier and my research online on this particular type of helmet. I haven't seen an example quite like this one yet. Hopefully more light can be shed.

Pat

Edited by Avitas

Just the story from the previous owner (who by in no way were collectors or anything). They had his fathers helmet (this one), a Russian Bayonet and the East German uniform which all belonged to his father (a german immigrant to Canada, no details, but his name is Dieter Otto.) My curiosity on the helmet comes from the authentic aging and decal of the helmet, plus the details I mentioned earlier and my research online on this particular type of helmet. I haven't seen an example quite like this one yet. Hopefully more light can be shed.

Pat

Edited by Avitas

Just an addition, I would be 100% sure the gentleman was a German immigrant based on his East German Uniform (from the '60s I believe) and the ww2 era Russian bayonet would make the story make sense. Again, I have no reason to believe the man was making up a story as I already bought it before I asked about the origins of it (it was a good price for an original Modello Z regardless of the conversion) so he would have no reason to make it up, and his last name was Otto as well (lots of Ottos in Western Canada).

Edited by Avitas

Good point on getting out of East Germany, any comments on the details of conversion? It was probably done in the 50s or 60s if not the 40s, just wondering if anyone has any technical advice on the method of the conversion as it does appear it was done long ago.

Thanks,

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hard enough to get out of east germany without having to smuggle out a WW2 helmet.

I would not pay more than the price of a damaged Spanish repaint.

Sorry

Chris

This is what I expected, but I haven't really seen any proof that this conversion was done pre or post ww2 by the details mentioned. Any points to ponder and compare would be a great help in determining this one (it is labeled as a 1942 era Spanish Z conversion). At any rate, the decal has been on there a while and maybe this is an early movie piece or something, just doesn't make much sense why someone would convert this helmet so long ago (when originals were VERY affordable) for any purpose other than being the poor guy in a biker gang or a movie prop. Any further technical help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the info!

Pat