News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Bar:

Republic of Austria (post WW1,pre-anschluss) (don't remember name)

Imperial Austria:

Franz Joseph Order, Knight's Cross (War Ribbon)

Military Merit Cross (War Ribbon)

Signum Laudis (War Ribbon, maybe Silver Medal)

Signum Laudis (War Ribbon, probably Bronze Medal)

Imperial Bavarian Military Merit Cross w. Crown & Swords (NOTE: mounted backwards!)

Imperial Austrian Officer's Long Service Cross

Imperial Prussian Iron Cross, 2. Klasse

1st decoration (from left) is a Goldenes Verdienstzeichen der Republik ?sterreich (founded 1927, from 1934 on it was called ?sterreichisches Verdienstzeichen)

The 6th decoration is IMHO NO Long-Service-Award- Unfortunately i don't know what it is.

The button-whole-decoration is called Heimwehrehrenzeichen 1934 (or Starhemberg-Bird) and not a vets award. The Heimwehrehrenzeichen was issued by the right-winged Heimwehr (Para-militarian Units commanded by Ernst R?diger F?rst Starhemberg 1899-1956). He joined the Hitler-Putsch 1923 and was among the Nazis as they marched to the Feldherrenhalle, He emmigrated 1937 and lived later 1942-1945 in South-America.)

regards

josef

beautifull pic BTW

Edited by Josef Rietveld

Guest Rick Research

What is the fellow's name and "rank?" Still trying to figure out tabs like these-- see in the Mitteleuropan section for similar ones:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34907

From the stamp it appears to be on some sort of ID card or ???

The combination suggests to me:

1) he is simply NOT wearing his "clutter" (Troop Cross, 1908 Jubilee etc etc)

2) The Franz Joseph on War Ribbon as far as I know usually went to Medical types-- yet he's wearing "J?ger" collar tabs (whever THOSE indicate)

A name could clear this up.

Guest Rick Research

Aha--there we go

K.u.k. Hauptmann Johann Felkl of Austro-Hungarian Inf Rgt 55 before the war was gazetted the Bavarian Military Merit Order 4X with Crown as an initial award (!) on 1 October 1915. The Bavarian Personal Nachrichten gave pre-war units for war security reasons, but that's where to locate this fellow.

He must have gone into some sort of STAFF job to have gotten that Franz Joseph Order.

Glenn J would be able to tell you more, but he's on the road this month. Bring this to his attention at the end of April. :cheers:

Reversed for what it "mirrored" off the page beneath:

Since it mentions that the "Bahnhof" stamp should overlap photo and page-- it must have come off a railways pass.

Hauptmann Hans Felkl 1915 ( EKII and Bavarian Military Merit Order 4X with Crown in button hole)

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-1062-1238703422.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-1062-1238712798.jpg

Edited by Naxos

• 3 weeks later...

Wherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre'd you FIND that? :catjava:

:cheers:

I got more :jumping:

At least here these images are given an identity and at last united again. :cheers:

Hauptmann Hans Felkl, 1915

Edited by Naxos

Guest Rick Research

Since my last posting, from the Austro-Hungarian Army Rank List 1914:

Oberleutnant 1 May 1913 (p. 257) and in Inf Rgt 55 holding 1908 Military Jubilee Cross and 1912/13 Mobilization Cross (p. 488)

and from the 1917 edition:

Hauptmann 1 September 1915 in Inf Rgt 55 (p. 89)

then held (p. 495) ?M3K, Signum Laudis Bronze/War Ribbon, 1908 Military Jubilee Cross, 1912/13 Mobilization Cross (foreign awards NOT listed during the war)

From the 1915 Ehrenbuch der ?sterreichischen-Ungarischen Wehrmacht: Die Ausgezeichnet im Weltkriege" (I. Band bis 31. Juli 1915)

p. 25-- Oberleutnant Johann Felkl of Inf Rgt 55 received ?M3K and Bronze Signum Laudis per award decrees published in Personal Verordnungsbl?tter 43/15 and 99/15 (apparently in that order).

I can't make scans because the bindings and paper are too brittle. Used as I am to GERMAN Rank Lists, it is appalling how cheaply made the AUSTRIAN versions are. I know-- they were intended to be tossed after one year, replaced by the next annual edition, but...

:speechless1:

... it is appalling how cheaply made the AUSTRIAN versions are. I know-- they were intended to be tossed after one year, replaced by the next annual edition, but...

:speechless1:

The equivalent to our phone books. ( the next species to vanish)

Edited by Naxos