News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre 1st WW medic or medical helper ?

Could this be a civilian medical helper, " Helfer im Sanit?tsdienst "

or is he a civilian member of the Red Cross ?

He also wears two badges with the Red Cross, but I haven't seen them so far.

The photo is of austrian origin, made in Wels. And I think it was made well before the 1st WW, maybe around 1900.

As always, any comments and infos are most welcome.

Kind regards

Robert

Edited by Robert Noss

Yes :cheers: , Pilgerkreuz von Jerusalem

Perhaps member of the Ritterorden vom Heiligen Grab zu Jerusalem "Ordo Equestris Sancti Sepulcri Hierosolymitani"?

http://www.oessg-lgimt.it/OESSG/ORG/insegne.htm

http://www.ordenskreuz.com/hlgrab.html

I'm not sure about the armband, but the Jerusalem Cross on his lapel, along with the one on his cravat, could mark him as as a knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. The lapel cross is very similar to one that I have, although mine is smaller in size.

eohsjlapelpin.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Robert-- if his name is on back, may be able to tell you more. I have just obtained several Austrian "Orders Almanac" type lists from before the war.

Unfortunately not, Rick.

If those people back then would have known that their photos are subject to a discussion 100 years later, they would have written explanations on their photos, they should have done. For them, everything was clear.

If he was a knight of the Equestrian Order ..., maybe the number on the armband would be leading to his name, if ( and that's a big IF ) there is anywhere on this world a list of names and numbers of these knights.

Anyway, it is already much more information as I expected.

Thank You all.

Robert