News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Graduation Jeton

GeorgeCL

Heres an example of a Grad. jeton from the M.V. Pobedinsky Accounting Courses in Petrograd..

Named on reverse and dated..Can anyone tell me the name?

Unmarked silver and Gold center..also nice blue enamel

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry about the shadow in the photo..

Thanks

George

• 5 months later...

I've been meaning to add on to this thread forever, but I've just never gotten around to it. There must be millions of these interesting graduation jetons around, but I've only come across a very few. Here are two.

The first one is, well, it's a silver graduation pin rather than a jeton, but I think it fits here nevertheless. It is a 1914 graduation pin -- Class of 1914 -- from Tbilisi Gymnasium #3. If you look closely enough, all of a sudden the highly stylized Т and Г (T and G) and the 3 will suddenly become recognizable to you. I think that the XXI is the number of years that the school had been in existence by then. The pin is both proof marked (84) and maker marked.

This second one really is a graduation jeton, but lacking the small chain.

It is from Tbilisi Gymnasium #6, Class of 1919. It is neither proofed or maker marked but it appears to be silver to me. I know the scan doesn't look silver, but that is mostly the scanner light reflection.

This jeton is particularly interesting to me because it comes from Georgia's brief period of independence after the civil war. That period was eliminated from all histories after the Soviets captured Tbilisi in 1921 and today many Georgians don't know it ever existed.

This design retains an eagle motif, but a single-headed one and, significantly, there is no crown. The eagle, wreath and letters retain some gilt, so this was once a gold design on a silver background with blue enamel. Nice.

Guest Rick Research

I missed this first time around, george. The name on yours is "A.D. Sivokhinoi" I'm not sure if that's his name in the accusative or it's the dative "TO ..." since it's not a family name I'm familiar with.