News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange bullet heads

Tony

Hello all,

Does anyone have an idea why these heads have been changed? All three date from WWII, the one on the right is in its original factory condition whereas the other two have been modified.

The one on the left has been pinched together at the tip with something like a pair of pliers and the middle one has had the tip cut off and a hole a couple of mm deep drilled into it.

Are they dum dums?

Tony

My first thought was that perhaps someone was mucking about trying to create dum-dum bullets. However, this may have been an attempt to make the rounds more suitable for hunting game. That is to say, a bullet that would "mushroom" on impact. I recall there was still a lot of WWI & WWII ammo around when I was a young man and we always felt it was good enough for zeroing in a rifle but we used the more expensive sporting rounds when we hunted.

This is just a thought.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian.

There's a good 10 of these bullets together with a couple of knives and a deer calling whistle thing, your hunting thought must be spot on.

Cheers

Tony

Hi,

someone was telling me this week how he used to take WW2 ammo and mess with them (removing the tips) to make usable hunting ammo.

best

Chris

Yeah all the ones messed about with have a WWII date, the 'normal' ones are all undated 9mm rounds except for one massive bullet. Probably meant for the now extinct Ostwestfalien speckled elephant.

Tony

• 4 years later...

They are NOT "heads" -- -they are BULLETS -- -i.e., the PROJECTILES.

The same sort of sloppiness means people talk about "Bullets" when they mean "cartridges".

The HEAD on a CARTRIDGE is the place where the HEADSTAMP (normally) goes --- on the base of the cartridhe.

Sorry to be a pedant but let's get it right.

They are NOT "heads" -- -they are BULLETS -- -i.e., the PROJECTILES.

The same sort of sloppiness means people talk about "Bullets" when they mean "cartridges".

The HEAD on a CARTRIDGE is the place where the HEADSTAMP (normally) goes --- on the base of the cartridhe.

Sorry to be a pedant but let's get it right.

Jim,

I appretiate your expertise.... but most folks online, after a long day, cannot appretiate semantics, and we cut each other some slack.

Now, I am sure when Tony is underway with his 22 year old beach bunny he does NOT use the C word, or say "Poonanay" or "Minge"... and he does use the anatomically correct V- Word... even inthe throes of passion...

But here on the forum things are different... If he wants to refer to a Steel helmet as a "Tin lid" or "deckel"... or a pot, ... that is his right.

I welcome you to the forum, seriously mon, amigo, buddy.... but lighten up a bit...

all the best

Chris

I am sorry that you take that attitude --- it is not a case of "lighten up" --- it is a case of simply using the correct terminology, which takes no more effort than using the incorrect term..

After "a long day" SURELY being correct is better. If your explanation about terminology desacends to the simply crude ( as it does in your response) then I may as well watch Russell Brand when I want to be amused.

If this is the general principle behind the fora (forums) then I regret that I will be spending my tme elsewhere - -sorry.

Jim - I have to say that I agree with Chris. We both can appreciate that you have a lot of knowledge

and are a firearm collector - however, as Chris points out our Members have to adjust to the Forum.

I will be sorry if you leave, but please do get used to our way of doing things. We have so many experts within our

ranks that we stopped, long ago, trying to impress them. Mervyn