News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need Help with a Golden Grain

alex82

Gentleman

I brought this medal back from China. I think this is an Order of the Golden Grain. What i don't know is the class or for what reason it was awarded?

I think this is not a fake, right?

Thank you

a l e x

No problem. It is just that it may be easier for the China experts here to make a call with more detailed images. Chinese awards have become dangerous territory.

I have a perliminary opinion, but I am far from "expert"!

So its the 4th class! I have just a few Chinese medals, but like this one, my collection in primary Japanese...

If I remember right I payed about 40$ in the antique shop back in shanghai :rolleyes:

THANK YOU!

So its the 4th class! I have just a few Chinese medals, but like this one, my collection in primary Japanese...

If I remember right I payed about 40$ in the antique shop back in shanghai :rolleyes:

THANK YOU!

Nice piece! Certainly looks real to me.

Hugh

Nice piece! Certainly looks real to me.

Hugh

Sorry to add a bit of bad news but you have a rather poorly made fake.

Any reference book on Chinese Republic medals would show that your medal has the wrong design on the obverse as well as the wrong ribbon.

Sorry,

Dick

Sorry to add a bit of bad news but you have a rather poorly made fake.

Any reference book on Chinese Republic medals would show that your medal has the wrong design on the obverse as well as the wrong ribbon.

Sorry,

Dick

The ribbon is the proper color but the cut and the rosette are not correct. Additionally the ring in the center should be gold plated as well as the cloud suspension. The grain in the original consists of a center tuft surrounded by green leaves and smaller tufts at the bottom. You can see some excellent examples of this beautiful order on the OMSA medal data base. I would post a copy but I have difficulty doing so on this website. One must be very careful and at least partially familiar with the medals of the Republic of China before purchasing them. I do not intend any disrespect but I would get some reference material for study prior to purchasing any of these items. I want to thank you very much for forwarding the pictures for us to see. I think you have made some potential medal collectors smarter.

Sorry,

Dick

Wow.. this ruin my day! :unsure: I always was pretty sure about this because of the box and the fact that the me proper aged. Also the place i bought it in shanghai made my feel ok. but I will take your advise advise and study these (even if I'm still a student an have a lot to study anyway). beside I will travel to Korea and Taiwan this summer, and as always looking forward to maybe buy some nice medals, but this time better prepared.

Oh, I just noticed how to remove some part of the box, hase this any meaning...

Thank you Dick for your time and honesty

a l e x

Oh, I just have this creepy felling that maybe more medals, specially in my beloved japanese collection, could be fake :speechless1:

I will sure make some Add's in the future if you don't mind?

I would not dismiss this as a fake just yet. The examples in the OMSA database themselves show a lot of differences in the quality of manufacture and the planchet of this award is very similar to the style of manufacture of the 6th class piece shown in the OMSA. Their 3rd class piece (which is on the same colour ribbon as this award) is a much nicer made piece, however these were made by a number of different manufacturers so a certain amount of inconsistency in quality is not unusual.

Gentleman

I brought this medal back from China. I think this is an Order of the Golden Grain. What i don't know is the class or for what reason it was awarded?

I think this is not a fake, right?

Thank you

a l e x

• 2 weeks later...