News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

G. Washington to the French Republic

Bear

This is a contemporary copy of George Washington's letter to the French Minister Adet. On January 1, 1796, the French Minister gave Washington a tricolor flag of the new Republic. This is what George Washington had to say about the event.

thanks,

barry

?Born, sir, in a land of liberty; having early learned its value; having engaged in a perilous conflict to defend it; having, in a word, devoted the best of my life to secure it, a permanent establishment in my own country; my anxious recollections, my sympathetick feelings, and my best wishes are irresistibly excited?I see an oppressed nation unfurl the banners of freedom. But above all, the events of the French revolution have produced the deepest solicitude as well as the highest admiration. To call your nation?were to pronounce but common praise. Wonderful People!...I rejoice that the product of your toils and of your immense sacrifice is approaching. I rejoice that the interesting revolutionary movements of so many years have issued in the formation of a constitution designed to give permission to the great object for which you have so long embraced with enthusiasm; liberty, of which you have been the invisible defenders, now finds an asylum in the?of a regularly organized government; a government, which being formed to secure the happiness of the French people, corresponds with the ardent wishes of my heart, which it gratifies the pride of every citizen of the United States, but its resemblance of their own. On these glorious events accept, Sir, my sincere congratulations. In delivering to you these sentiments, I express not my own feelings only, but those of my fellow citizens, in relation to the commencement, the prayer, and the issue of the French revolution; and they will cordially join with me in purest wishes to the Supreme being. That the citizens of your sister republic, our magnanimous allies, may soon enjoy, in peace, that Liberty which they have purchased at so great a price, and all the happiness which liberty can bestow??

I dont know how you do it, but this is the cream of your US collection! WOW With it being a contemporary copy, would the signature still be that of George Washington? Please forgive my ignorance here.