News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PAX VICTORIS

Here's another nice design for a war commemorative. Has the flags of the allied nations on the front and the coat of arm shields on the reverse. MB Ld (Mint, Birmingham). Enjoy!

Tim

I think what is interesting here is the slightly different representation of countries when compared to those we normally see shown on the victory medals of the same war.

Looking at the countries shown (left to right): United States; Japan; Portugal; Belgium (I believe); United Kingdom; France; Greece; Serbia; and Romania.

The lion is slightly off in the details on the Belgian lion coat of arms, but there were different variations at the time and the Greek shield could also pass for the Italian coat of arms, but the details on the flag (obverse) show the Greek flag. You can't see it too well in the PICS, but in hand you can see it is not a tri-color type of flag.

:cheers:

Tim

• 1 month later...

Basically another European war and peace type commemorative medal looking at the tragedy, heroism and triumph of war. I think they were made after the war to remind people of the terrible costs in hopes of not making the same mistakes in the future. The bronze coin is roughly 52 MM in diameter.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

In addition to the larger commemorative coin displayed there was also a wearable medal produced. As shown below in the picture it is suspended by a two-ring suspension with a standard tri-colour ribbon that is also seen on other locally produced medals commemorating the end of the Great War. I have this copy which has a diameter of 35 mm and appears to be gilt plated. Apologies in advance for the poor pictures as I don't have a very good scanner.

Here is the obverse.

Regards from a wild and wet Sydney, Australia,

Rob

Tim,

There is another version of this wearable medal in addition to that illustrated above. Its full title is 'Birmingham Peace Celebrations Medal 1914-19'. It has the same two-ring suspension and is also made of the same gilt-plated material. The other version has the same PAX VICTORIS obverse with a different reverse inscribed ?Birmingham Peace Celebration - The Great War 1914-1919? which surrounds a coat of arms, or city seal depicting two figures and a shield (no doubt related to the city of Birmingham). The detail escapes me at the moment. When I find the piece among my collection I shall post pics.

This particular medal was one of a large number of similar local city commemorative medals that celebrated the arrival of peace at the end of the Great War. A number of other cities in England produced similar medals, including the City of Carlisle, City of Coventry, Plymouth, County Borough of Salford, County Borough of Sunderland among others. There were various designs but this particular type used PAX VICTORIS for the obverse of both of the designs.

Both of the Birmingham medal types are not often seen with the variety illustrated above seen even less often.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Tim,

As indicated before here is the other variety.

It is the same diameter and made of the same material. Again apologies for my poor scanning attempt.

Reverse to follow.

Regards,

Rob