News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The award of the swords on ring for the Ernestine Orders and Medals has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I know that these were not created until the mid '30's. Nimmergut states that they were awarded to "friends of the movement and armed forces". This is still a little vague. Can anyone enlighten me on the background of these? For instance, did one aready have to hold the medal or order prior to receiving the swords on ring? The lone example from my collection is pictured. Thanks in advance.

Hi Beau,

For information, the swords on ring for the Ernestine House Order and medals were created to celebrate he 13th anniversary of the Coburg' march in 1922. Of course people who received these new orders were memebers of the Party and or were leadership in this one. This embelishment was created on 16 october 1935 and on 15 November 1935, all "private orders" were forbidden.

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

WONDERFUL BAR!!!! :jumping::love::jumping:

At SOME point, the trio of 1935 Coburg, WW1 Schwarzburg, and WW1 Oldenburg should leap out of a cross-indexed listing of rolls not yet done.

Max Hans, in his terrific 1986 "Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen von Sachsen-Coburg... 1689-1935" shows award documents and PRINTED lists of recipients for higher grades than the medal, which apparently came (per his bibliography) from:

"Liste an die Pr?sidialkanzlei der Berechtiten zum Tragen der Hausorden vom 14.11.1935."

The Duke apparently NEVER stopped handing out grades of his House Order/Medals, since there is a PRINTED list of Medals recipients 1919-35, as well as for some other grades and the 1932 wedding medal.

The Duke, sad, tragically silly man that he was, did INDEED hand these out to his new Nazi buddies--but he also gave them out (in a rather more respectable manner) to numerous deserving locals just as they had been under the Empire-- for personal and community service. In that regard, until infected by the urge to don Nazi uniforms, he was a good and noble prince to his home folks, as the Prince of Hohenzollern was also. (Hohenzollern NEVER stopped handing things out locally-- but then he wasn't paying attention to those nasty fellows in Berlin.... :rolleyes: )

I have only the wartime rolls, when the Ernestine was a State rather than simply dynastic award. That's what has been published in the Triple Ernestines Rolls.

The Thuringian Archives are a bit confusing, because of overlapping and duplicated paperwork, but presumably the entire Rolls for Coburg's "1935" types ARE there, somewhere.

Worth one of our German Research Gnomes checking into. :ninja:

Bonjour,

How much class in l' were order created in 1935 ?

Do you have a list of the recipiendaires ?

I know only a Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernesticher Hauseorden Komturkreuz 2. kl mit Schwertern am Ring.

Crdl

Thierry

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately Herr Hans-- who apparently had access to those rolls-- did not list TOTALS.