News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi everybody,

I have this nice photo, but I can't put a name on it. First I thought of Ritter von Leeb but the porteppe is Prussian, there is no Bavarian ribbons first (the first one is EK2 following by HHO3X). And to finsih, the uniform (buttons) looks like Prussian.

Can someone help me to identify this officer. Thanks

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Guest Rick Research

Hopelessly blurry, but I am fairly certain that the 4th ribbon and then one a couple over are Z?hringen Lions-- with Xs and with Oakleaves... ending with 1902 Baden Jubilee medal. This South German style bar was quite odd for Prussians who weren't from Baden or Hohenzollern during the First War.

Now to guess, I would say:

1) EK2

2) HOH3X

3) BV3

4) BZ3aX

5) RAO4

6) BZ3bE

7) ?

8) 1897

9) 1902

let's see who that comes up with...

:catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Ok, best match seems to be

7) BMV4

and so Julius von Langsdorff (1866-1945) who ended up with a Pour le Merite-- so try for his face.

Other candidates--

Eugen F?rster (1871-1923) who also had an HEK3aX,

Rudolf Seiler (d. 1930)

or

Friedrich L. C. von Berg (1870-1924) but he was artillery and unless FOOT artillery, wouldn't have had 3 button cuffs. He also had a WK3XL.

If this seems like gibberish folks... we're (Christophe and Paul and I) working off of AWARD ROLLS ( :catjava::rolleyes: ) so these "shorthand" names turn up possible "suspects" from decorations when what we need is a FACE.

Guest Rick Research

Nope. :(

If this was clearer-- it looks like a magazine photo-- :speechless1: it would be easier to pick suspects. That eliminates 2 of my 4 picks-- just Seiler or von Berg left. I looked for anybody with HOH3X, BV3, and 2 BZ3s who was at least a Major. There were 11 but the others had many more awards.