News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

So many outstanding photos...

The trench scenes are great...

the burned out train...

but I have to agree-- the "scuba diver" with the bizarre gas mask equipment and the C96 pistol--

that is one of the best I have ever seen. Ever. In 40 years ever. :catjava:

You need to re-post that separately as its own topic to find out about the strange gas mask system.

but I have to agree-- the "scuba diver" with the bizarre gas mask equipment and the C96 pistol--

that is one of the best I have ever seen. Ever. In 40 years ever. :catjava:

You need to re-post that separately as its own topic to find out about the strange gas mask system.

The mask in the photo is not an experimental or odd ball type mask. It's actuallly, a special function type mask. These are sometimes seen in photos, but not very often.

The Draeger firm made several types of respirator systems for use in mine rescue operations before WWI. Most people are aware of the face masks worn by the German infantry. The masks reduce the ability to see what's happening around the person wearing them, considerably. As a result of that limitation, specialized masks were made and issued to personnel who required being able to see while operating heavy equipment (vehicle drivers for example), or others who needed to be able to speak clearly enough to deliver orders, etc. The typical face mask worn by the infantry either reduced or eliminated the ability to communicate clearly while wearing the mask. (Some of them had buzzer like sound systems in them, but these don't work all that well.)

The protective equipment for men operating equipment, telephone sound boards, etc, were usually very similar to what the individual in this photo was wearing: a set of googles, a nose clip and seperate mouth piece. A seperate mouth clip would allow the wearer to take the piece out, speak, then immediately replace it so he could take another breath without being exposed to gas.

A seperate category of special masks were worn by men that could not wear a standard gas mask, or specifically, the mask did not fit well enough to prevent gas from going around the mask and into the man's lungs. People with irregular faces might not be protected from gas. Facial wounds, oddly shaped jaws/skulls, missing teeth and so on could contribute to a mask not being able to fit. If that happened, putting a man in a combat situation without a mask would certainly result in him becoming a gas casualty.

There are a several books on this subject, and one in French which is particularly good as it shows many of the known masks in period photos. I have it somewhere in my library, and will post the title if I remember to look through my boxes for it.

Christophe, thanks for posting that!

Les

Guest IMHF

This photo is cool imagine him running at you in the trenches :cheers:

Lorenzo

I was talking about the photo in post 19

Lorenzo