News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great coat collar patch with aviation insignia

Ah ha!! :speechless1:

You got that snap. I was bidding on it too.

Nice collar device. I especially liked the stripes on the jacket too-an older NCO who wanted people to know who was still who.

Was it Richthofen in the other picture?

Ah ha!! :speechless1:

You got that snap. I was bidding on it too.

Nice collar device. I especially liked the stripes on the jacket too-an older NCO who wanted people to know who was still who.

Was it Richthofen in the other picture?

I didn't bid on it, although I was really tempted. The photo a nice one, and if you got it, the price wasn't bad. I thought it would get sniped at the last minute for more than it brought.

The profile of the fellow with the goatee/vandyke is a slightly earlier one than the shot of the two men together. In the profile photo, there's no tresse around the shoulder straps, and in the photo of the two men, there is.

MvR? I don't think it was.

Les

I am intrigued by the short flying coat too. I have several photos of them being worn and they appear to have only been issued to flight personnel. The prop collar patch is regulation on this coat. The odd thing is that huge chevron on the sleeve. It's larger than a navy mate's equivalent. Wonder what it is for.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Nice pictures. we discuss about it. Here a picture of an pilot out of his Fliegerausweis where he wear proppeler on his greatcoat collar patch. I often see this kind of device only on greatcoat.

Regards Alex

In Kraus this is described as a ?berjacke. It was introduced in the summer of 1916 and was fashioned from wool moleskin (Ledertuch). He says the shoulder straps were leather, but every photo I have seen of them has M15 cloth enlisted boards. The description does not mention which ranks wore them, but I assume both officer and NCOs had access to them.

Chip