News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Badges MVD / OMOH

I am not so keen on Soviet badges. A friend of mine asked me to post his badges here:

1. MVD badge = kind of souvenir or something official?

2. OMOH badge = kind of souvenir or something official?

3. MVD academy badge = official use?

Thank you!

Interesting gathering... the first badge is not Soviet but, rather, recent Russian Federation Police. I would venture a guess a say it's official if for no other reason than the screw back- but I really don't know.

The second badge is interesting; looks to be fairly old. Not official in the Soviet sense as it does not have Moneteny Dvor on the back nor on the tightening wheel but does have a locally produced feel to it. The Islamic minaret next to the Atheist Soviet seal is absolutely weird. Probably a commemorative badge of some kind made locally to the event.

The last badge has Kommsomol overtones. The relative sloppiness in the paint would indicate this is not an official badge but, maybe, a badge produced privately by a particular class. Ther were many such badges made.

:unsure: Greg; In the 2nd badge, I'm not sure thats a minaret. I think its a river view of the Peter and Paul Fortress in Leningrad. Additionally the 3rd badge is from the MVD Academy in Leningrad, or so I've been told.

Guest Rick Research

1st one appears to follow Soviet designs of the "Otlichnik" type for prison guards.

Leningrad OMON one... no idea.

The last is one of the uglier versions of Higher Political School (VPU) of the MVD-- school for police commissars. They changed designs quite frequently. Here are two others for the same School

All these badges are shown on page 376 of M. A. Rogov's monumental "Istoriya Nagrad I Znakov V MVD Rossii (1802-2002).

The wretched quality badge you've shown dates from 1978 when the school received the honorific title "60th anniversary of the Komsomol."