News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help Request

JamesM

My Cousin has asked me to help her put together a set of medals that had been awarded to her grandfather. The one medal that she really needs help with and I know nothing about is the ?Cross of Saint George, 4th Class?. The question here is, how hard are these to come by and/or is there any place that might sell museum copies of this medal?

Cheers,

James

You can readily find good copies on eBay for under $60. You can also find real ones from reputed dealers but these will run in the hundreds or thousands of dollars as they are numbered and the lower numbers really go for more.

Here, go on eBay and enter this number in the search box 260421828630

Good copy of a St George Cross 4th class for $30.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the info, I have passed it along. I'm not sure if my cousin want an original or a copy of the medal. I wonder how many Canadians received this award?

Cheers,

James

WOA! :speechless1:

Her grand father received the Cross of St George as a Canadian soldier? :speechless1:

We want more info man! Everything you can get your hands on! Dates, units, name, serial number, pictures!! The works! ANYTHING your cousin has!! If there's any missing info, there are guys on this forum that can probably find his boot size!

NOTE: the Cross of St George is usually numbered on the back. Find out if your cousin has that info.

Edited by TacHel

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 14 JANUARY, 1918. 829

20252 Lance-Corporal Joseph Komich, Canadian

Inf.

Cross of St. George, Forth Class (Russia)

Lance-Corporal Joseph Komich

Private Theodore Belinski

Private Harry Koewve

Private Frederick Mulford

Private Matakichi Yashikawa

L.Cpl. 20252 KOMICH, JOSEPH CAMC. Cross of the Order of St. George 4th Cl., LG. 15 Feb. 1917, CG. 14 Jan 1918 p.2683

I believe that he was with the Calgary Highlanders, or what became the Calgary Highlanders. This is what I have at the present time. I'll see what else I gcan get about him.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for an original, it still won't have the proper number on the back. But if that is what you want, I can give you the URLs of many reputable European dealers that have some for sale but like I said, it'll cost you a pretty penny.

If a copy is good enough, go to eBay and type in Order of St George 4th class... Plenty there.

Even if you pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for an original, it still won't have the proper number on the back. But if that is what you want, I can give you the URLs of many reputable European dealers that have some for sale but like I said, it'll cost you a pretty penny.

If a copy is good enough, go to eBay and type in Order of St George 4th class... Plenty there.

Hi Frank,

I'm not worried if it is an original or not and I don't think my relative is either. But, what I am now wondering is can the number that would have been his medal be found?? I have seen one or two sites that have reproduction medals, and, there might be the chance that they could have the number put on to it. It would just be nice to have it as complete as possible for any further generations. At least that is what I would like, so I'm also making the same assumption for my cousin as well.

Cheers,

James

Hi Frank,

That's what I'd now like to find out! Trident militaria has the medal in to different metals, as in stamped steel and I think silver. If I know the number, then it'd be nice to get it put on the medal.

Cheers,

James

• 4 years later...

Hi! I realize I'm replying to a very old post, but I am the 'cousin' in this thread and I would love to get more information on my grandfather, Joseph Komich. I have his attestation papers, and I did get a very nice replica of his medal made (thank you for that!) ...

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards,

Christine

Did you try ordering an extract from the archives here in Canada (ie like a record card) ? (not sure if they can do it here in Canada too, but It is worth a try)

Regards,

Igor

Edited by Rogi

Hi! I realize I'm replying to a very old post, but I am the 'cousin' in this thread and I would love to get more information on my grandfather, Joseph Komich. I have his attestation papers, and I did get a very nice replica of his medal made (thank you for that!) ...

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards,

Christine

Hello Christine;

Welcome to GMIC! Thanks for posting. I'm going to do a little research through some books I have, but before I do, is there anything you can tell me on his attestation papers? What is his exact unit that his listed under?

I'm trying to ascertain the circumstances of why he would have received the Russian award. Can you get a copy of his service record from the government or the Calgary Highlanders?

Sincerely,

Claudius

Hello Christine;

Welcome to GMIC! Thanks for posting. I'm going to do a little research through some books I have, but before I do, is there anything you can tell me on his attestation papers? What is his exact unit that his listed under?

I'm trying to ascertain the circumstances of why he would have received the Russian award. Can you get a copy of his service record from the government or the Calgary Highlanders?

Sincerely,

Claudius

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/Searches/soldierDetail.asp?ID=161096

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me - I JUST found this today! I knew he'd received the Cross, but now I see he had 3 others! I'm not sure what they all are as I can't find any information on them - but would the Victory Medal be the same as the Victoria Cross? I know he received his Cross of St. George for bravery...I hope the information helps and again, I appreciate your kind assistance!

Christine