News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Serbian King Peter I medal

Yes. It says: H.M. King Peter I. There is a mistake in capital letter standing for "Majesty" (Cyrillic B in stead of V).

Dragomir

Hallo Dragomir :beer:

thank you for your help do you have any information on why it was made or the time period?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Dragomir :beer:

thank you for your help do you have any information on why it was made or the time period?

Probably a commemorative piece issued in 1903 for the Accession/Coronation of Peter I following the defenestration of Belgrade.

Paul

Well, Paul Wood might be right in his guess that the medal was probably emitted in 1903. The King is shown only with Collar of St. Prince Lazarus, which means that the portrait originated before the institution of the Order of Star of Karageorge. The spelling error suggests that the Medal was struck abroad, with scant knowledge of the Cyrillic alphabet. Therefore, the guess is that it was struck somewhere abroad, between July and December 1903. Its status was unofficial.

Dragomir

The Order of St Prince Lazarus was worn only by the King of Serbia and by his Crown Prince (when of majority).

Here is a picture of King Peter I wearing that order.

2iospw.jpg

I am not shure that the portrait originated before the institution of the Order of Star of Karageorge as Dragomir said.

Maybe Milan can help you with your question, Kevin ?

Hallo Dragomir, :beer:

many thanks for the information, were unofficial commemorative pieces common?

Hallo Kevin,

Unofficial commemorative medals were not rare in Serbia. The portrait posted by Sasa was painted after the death of King Peter I by Uros Predic, and it shows full splendor of the Serbian general's uniform with all the heavy insignia pertaining to the King. In 1903, following the election of Prince Peter Karageorgevich to the throne of Serbia, there was only one specimen of the Chain of Saint Prince Lazarus. Although it was provided by the Law that both King and his Heir, when of age, shall bear the insignia, King Alexander was childless and the second (Crown Prince's) chain was not yet made. The Order of the Star of Karageorge was instituted on January 1st 1904 (Julian Calender, corresponding to the 13th January Gregorian Calender). It seams barely possible that a medal in honour of the King, even if unofficial, would not show the sash of the Star of Karageorge. The habit of wearing the 3rd Class badge at the neck when other sash was used came much later. That is the reason for my attempt at dating.

Best regards,

Dragomir