News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Vichy badge

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Wasn't sure on this one... believe the axes were used by Vichy so didn't know if there was a connection. Belive the ship has to do with Paris... but again not positive. Any help on this one and possibly a rough value would be deeply appreciated:

Guest Rick Research

No-- in this case they are simply firemen's axes. No other input, alas. I recognize Draco as a well known maker's name, but that's it. When this would have been worn...?

No-- in this case they are simply firemen's axes. No other input, alas. I recognize Draco as a well known maker's name, but that's it. When this would have been worn...?

Dear Rick,

In translating the wording the only word I can get is Pompiers which is Firefighters. But I can't get the others to translate. So definitely something to do with the fire department and again I think it would be in Paris. I was given a keychain when I was in high school French by my teacher. It's from Paris and has that same ship/water symbolism on it. And of course this has the flames on the edges. Hoping someone may come up with more info yet.

Thanks!!!! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Sappeurs Pompiers are firefighters.

I agree it looks like the Parisian arms, but been so long since I've seen one can't be sure.

The other bit--using the same initials in French is "Rescue or Perish." (Much more dramatic than what seems "the usual" German firefighting motto "Allzeit Bereit"-- "Always Ready," which is shared by the Boy Scouts! :Cat-Scratch::P )

The Legion of Honor as an award to the fire department probably helps date it, but no clue as to when.

Actually, the clues are in the present crest of Paris.

You'll notice 3 awards below the city crest, they were presented to the city (and not to the fire dept).

L?gion d'Honneur - 9 October 1900

Croix de Guerre (14-18) - 28 July 1919

Croix de la Lib?ration - 2 April 1945

The L?gion d'Honneur is actually part of the city crest on your pin. This puts this particular article between 9 October 1900 and 28 July 1919 when the CDG was awarded.

So the axes are definitely not Vichy.

Hope this helps!

Actually, the clues are in the present crest of Paris.

You'll notice 3 awards below the city crest, they were presented to the city (and not to the fire dept).

L?gion d'Honneur - 9 October 1900

Croix de Guerre (14-18) - 28 July 1919

Croix de la Lib?ration - 2 April 1945

The L?gion d'Honneur is actually part of the city crest on your pin. This puts this particular article between 9 October 1900 and 28 July 1919 when the CDG was awarded.

So the axes are definitely not Vichy.

Hope this helps!

Oh definitely!!!! :jumping: A terrific job! Many thanks!!!! :beer:

Also this address (Noisiel, Marne la Vallee) on the back of the badge means it was made after 1988.

Thanks Paul. I've passed the date correction on. Deeply appreciate the help! :jumping:

Thanks again, :beer:

Well I'll be danged... :o Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. :(

It's the "current badge"...

Designed in 1941 by caporal-chef Cl?ment. Altered by a reserve officer working on the new crest of Paris which he incorporated into the crest of the fire brigade. The Legion of Honour is from the crest of Paris, weird that the CDG wasn't included...

Edited by TacHel