News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need info on some Belgian medals

Guest Rick Research

Nice trio! The crown indicates he was a volunteer, and the two straight bars are for service at the front.

1st: Croix de Guerre. The bronze Palm indicates that he was mention in the Order of the Day on an Army level. ?A? on the Palm is for King Albert indicating it?s the 1914/1918 cross

2nd: Another Croix de Guerre which along with the other 2 would indicate it?s also a 1914/18 cross

3rd: The Commemorative medal for the War 1914/18. As Rick stated the crown etc. As far as the front stripes they were issued one silver bar per ?Front stripe? These were awarded for front line duty. The first stripe was for a year and every 6 months after that. One gilt bar would replace 5 silver. There was also a black stripe for POW time.

4th: The Fire Cross 1914/18. There were 3 different styles, yours is the first style.

Check out Hendriks site?tis the best in the world for Belgian medals :D

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/

I will let you troll the medal sites to price them out; none are worth more than $50USD though.

Hope this helps a bit :rolleyes::cheers:

1st: Croix de Guerre. The bronze Palm indicates that he was mention in the Order of the Day on an Army level. "A" on the Palm is for King Albert indicating it's the 1914/1918 cross

2nd: Another Croix de Guerre which along with the other 2 would indicate it's also a 1914/18 cross

3rd: The Commemorative medal for the War 1914/18. As Rick stated the crown etc. As far as the front stripes they were issued one silver bar per "Front stripe" These were awarded for front line duty. The first stripe was for a year and every 6 months after that. One gilt bar would replace 5 silver. There was also a black stripe for POW time.

4th: The Fire Cross 1914/18. There were 3 different styles, yours is the first style.

Check out Hendriks site?tis the best in the world for Belgian medals :D

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/

I will let you troll the medal sites to price them out; none are worth more than $50USD though.

Hope this helps a bit :rolleyes::cheers:

Hi Laurence,

Many thanks for all this great info. I've just sent off an email passing it along. Deeply appreciate all your help and that of everyone else this evening. And I'm learning a good deal myself which is always a good thing.

Thanks again! :beer:

Dan :cheers: