News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie, Sturmbataillon 4

This dog tag (Erkennungsmarke) belonged to Sch?tze Wilhelm Herrmann. Herrmann also served as a gunner in the 1. MGK of Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 40

very interesting,

(Am also surprised they were using tags like this taht late in the war, I always think of these as very early).

Good find.

His low serial number "N.8" suggests late December 1916 or January 1917.

Very cool Hardy. Was there anything else in the lot? I've got a tag for a gunner in a MGSSA and one from a Gebirgs-MGA, but never have had a chance at a Sturm-Batl. example. :beer:

Regards,

Chip

Very cool Hardy. Was there anything else in the lot? I've got a tag for a gunner in a MGSSA and one from a Gebirgs-MGA, but never have had a chance at a Sturm-Batl. example. :beer:

Regards,

Chip

Chip, there are two letters with the tag. Both written in 1918 (January and June). In the January letter Wilhelm writes that he is with a new unit (1. MGK LIR40).

Regards,

Chip

What models of tags are yours?

Hardy,

Both of disks mentioned are the so-called 1916 pattern with the cut-out center line. I have to agree with Chris that it is somewhat surprising to see a Sturm-Batl. disk in the 1914 configuration, but when you look at the timeline Sturm-Batl.Nr.4 was one of the earlier units, having been formed in 1916. I'm sure that the transition from one pattern disk to another took time. Like I said, a very cool disk. Congratulations.

Chip

Here's the back of the card, which is from Pionier Richard Kranz, Flammenwerferzug, Sturmbataillon Nr. 4.

The message is as follows: August 1, 1918: "Dear Wilhelm: Am sending cheerful Sunday-greetings from here. Have arrived back well from holidays. It was again a nice time in the lovely homeland. Hopefully you received my package. Dear greetings from your friend Richard. Pioneer Richard Kranz, Flamethrower Platoon, Assault Battalion No. 4, Military Post Office 249."

Edited by Thomas W