News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Order? Or what?

Here's one of the Mystery Medals from a Magpie's collection. I'm not really a Soviet collector, and am not very knowledgeable, so I'm asking for help. I had tentatively identified the item below as the Medal for Conspicuous Service 3rd Class (1974), based on the pictures of 1st and 2nd Classes in Durov's Russian and Soviet Military Awards, p. 101. That's how it found a home amongst my Soviets. JimZ has since kindly informed me that there is no 3rd class medal

I had noticed (of course) that the ribbon is different, but had attributed that to the lower class. Now that I look carefully, I can see that neither the center image, nor the inscription (Pushto? Dari?) nor the insignia on the branches of the star are the same. In other words, somewhat similar, but completely different.

I bought it in Peshawar in the '80's (some interesting times) when I was working up there, and it looks as though, despite my fabulous inventory control system (pesky little stickers), I have failed completely to enter it into my data base, probably because neither I nor the seller (a gentleman of questionable probity) could identify it. In other words, I have no bloody idea what it is. The joys of being a magpie! I'll pick up anything bright and shiny if the price is right, in hopes of future redemption.

Please save me from myself. What the hell is it? Ed Haynes has identified a number of my other Afghans, but I can't remember if I sent him this one.

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

So that is what it was! An Afghan medal!!!

Honestly if Ed says there was only one class, then I'd be quite confident that there is no second class. Looking at the damage to it on the obverse and particularly the reverse I would not be surprised if the medal was left lying in the soil or was subject to some really bad storage conditions that ate it away - the reverse is quite damaged indeed! Either way it is most likely that the original ribbon was simply replaced with the current one.

What I do not understand is why it is referred to as a medal for combat service as opposed to a Medal for Distinguished Military Service as per the more common Soviet Union medal. Perhaps the script in Dari refers to it as 'Medal for combat service' instead?

Either way, glad to find out what it was! Thanks for the pointer Jeff.

Jim

So that is what it was! An Afghan medal!!!

Honestly if Ed says there was only one class, then I'd be quite confident that there is no second class. Looking at the damage to it on the obverse and particularly the reverse I would not be surprised if the medal was left lying in the soil or was subject to some really bad storage conditions that ate it away - the reverse is quite damaged indeed! Either way it is most likely that the original ribbon was simply replaced with the current one.

What I do not understand is why it is referred to as a medal for combat service as opposed to a Medal for Distinguished Military Service as per the more common Soviet Union medal. Perhaps the script in Dari refers to it as 'Medal for combat service' instead?

Either way, glad to find out what it was! Thanks for the pointer Jeff.

Jim