News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

identifcation uniform bars

As this is a Belgian Generals uniform i will post my question in this thread.

Maybe someone can help me identify these international ribons?

For Belgium:

1.Commander Leopoldsorde ( order of Leopold )

2.Grand Cross Ordre of the Crown

Edited by ringo

3. Netherlands Order of Orange Nassau

4. Luxembourg Order of the Oaken Crown

5. Luxembourg Order of Merit

6. France Legion of Honor

7. ?

8. Italy. Order of Merit

9. ?

10. Belgian Military Cross, first class (?)

11. ?

12. ?

• 1 month later...

as promised, a bit late but busy as usual...

mini-SL387072.jpg

So:

7. Sovereign Military Order of Malta ?

8. Italy. Order of Merit

9. ?

10. Belgian Military Cross, first class

11. ?

12. ?

Can you help me please?

Edited by ringo

OK, not a direct answer but a good lead: most likely we are talking about the uniform of General August Van Daele, as he's wearing on this pic http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gLXgm1b3S3bh/610x.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.daylife.com/photo/0gLXgm1b3S3bh&usg=__2rF27Fh1KP7ug97yMTer2aPfDF4=&h=416&w=610&sz=65&hl=nl&start=5&tbnid=2-RxJkvQrhJOEM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Daugust%2Bvan%2Bdaele%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Dnl%26sa%3DG

Now let's see if we can dig up info on his medals shall we

cheers

l4h

Still no answer, but this will probably interst you as well:

Chief of the General Staff of Belgium

General A. Van Daele

2003 -

General August. VAN DAELE was born in Sint-Niklaas on Feburary 25, 1944. After having graduated from high school at the Athénée Royal in Sint-Niklaas and the Royal Cadet Training School in Lier, he was admitted to the Royal Military Academy in 1962 as a student in the 117th Polytechnic Class. He was appointed as a second lieutenant on December 25, 1964.

After his graduation in civil engineering in 1967 at the Polytechnic Division, he embarked on his Air Force career as a young technical officer at the Proficiency Training Centre in Brustem.

In 1969, he was appointed to the Mobile Training Unit, set up with the introduction of the Mirage training programme.

In 1971, he joined the Inspection and Technical Acceptance Testing Service, where he occupied the functions of line manager within the Sabca Gosselies section, then at Sabca Haren and subsequently in the itinerant section.

In 1980, he became Commanding Officer Air Maintenance Squadron at the 10th Fighter-Bomber Wing in Kleine-Brogel. At the end of 1980, he was promoted Major and took part in the introduction of the new F-16 weapons system.

In 1983, he was assigned to Air Force Headquarters in Evere, where he took up his duties as Deputy Commanding Officer of the Inspection and Technical Acceptance Testing Service.

In 1984, he was admitted to the Defence College for the course BEM (General Staff Course Graduated).

After his appointment to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in September 1985, he returned to the 10th Fighter-Bomber Wing in Kleine-Brogel as Commanding Officer of the Maintenance Group.

From 1987 onward, he became the Head of the Inspection and Technical Acceptance Testing Service, then the Equipment Inspection Service, and finally took charge of the newly founded Inspection section.

In 1990, he was promoted Colonel.

In 1992, he joined the Equipment section, and due to restructuring of the technical and logistic services of Air Force Headquarters, he took over the command of the new Aviation Equipment section.

Having been promoted to Major-General on June 26, 1994, he held the position of Deputy Chief of Staff – Logistics at Air Force Headquarters.

On 26 December 1999, he was promoted to Lieutenant-General.

He is a member of the Higher Committee of Surveillance, and is a member of the Board of Directors of the von Karman Institute.

He also occupied the function of National Representative to the Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development (AGARD) until November 1996, when he became National Delegate to the Research and Technology Board (R&T Board).

On 1 January 2002, he’s holding the position of Director General for Material Resources at the Defense Staff.

On the 6th of December 2002 he is designated by the Council of Ministers to become Chief of Defence with a four years mandate. He took up his duties on the 1st of January 2003. At the same time he was promoted to General.

General August VAN DAELE is aide to the King.

Here he's wearing the full size medals of the bottom row of the ribbon bar (next to his national orders)

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aABbhJ5Bacwc/610x.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.daylife.com/photo/0aABbhJ5Bacwc&usg=__j578vhcE1hxx0xBGyAFqy0-Ylks=&h=432&w=610&sz=58&hl=nl&start=105&um=1&tbnid=Ncyykmw09dcfrM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Daugust%2Bvan%2Bdaele%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Dnl%26sa%3DN%26start%3D100%26um%3D1

Dear Love4history,

The uniform was indeed worn by General Van Daele, Chief of Staf - Belgium Army. I can now because he gave me the uniform wink.gif

I know, i should have asked him for his medals at that time, but i was so impresed by the men and it was such a good conversation that i was home before i knew it...

Thank you for showing my the way to the pictures

Hi Ringo

You can still ask him now I think in a polite letter or emailmessage. It just shows you appreciate the item he gave you, and you're interested in it.

Nice gift you got there. It's "only" the uniform of (what used to be) the 2nd in command of the Belgian Armed Forces after the Belgian King.....

cheers

l4h

• 10 months later...

as promised, a bit late but busy as usual...

mini-SL387072.jpg

So:

7. Sovereign Military Order of Malta ?

8. Italy. Order of Merit

9. ?

11. ?

12. ?

Can you help me please?

Maybe a little reminder? blush.gif Can anyone help me with 9,11 and 12?

With this exelent Ribbon-Bar site:

http://www.coleccion...intas/index.htm

Here ist a picture of the National Order of Dahomey (Benin) from OMSA Medal Database

Hello Karnet,

Thank you for your post, you really helped me out with these ribbons...

Now, only two to go.

i will search on the website you gave in your previous post, very nice site indeed...

THANKSbeer.gif

OK, not sure, but judging from the colors #11 can be the Bulgarian decoration "for Faithful Service under the Banner." It was in 4 classes and was intended for Bulgarian soldiers for long and meritorious service, but due to the lack of any more appropriate honor it used to be awarded to foreign military as well.

Dear Love4history,

The uniform was indeed worn by General Van Daele, Chief of Staf - Belgium Army. I can now because he gave me the uniform wink.gif

I know, i should have asked him for his medals at that time, but i was so impresed by the men and it was such a good conversation that i was home before i knew it...

Thank you for showing my the way to the pictures

What must you do to obtain his uniform from the Chief of Staff??? :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Si thanks to Karnet and the aid of Lukasz we have found the most of the medals...

Untill now i have:

7. Hungary: Order of Merit (Commander)

8. Italy: Order of Merit

9. Benin: National Order (Officer)

11. ?

12. Italien UNO-medal

Still one, number 11... I have searched for several hours but without result... Hope we will find the last one...

THANKS!!!

• 3 years later...