News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare Zulu War Bar ?

I have heard of an exceedingly rare bar to the Zulu War Medal, viz : "1877-9" Does this really exist ? I must say, it seems highly unlikely since surely this is already covered by the "1877-8-9" bar, although it has been mentioned in some past publications. Could someone confirm this and possibly show this "doubting Thomas" an example. Regards Thomas..I mean Jeff !

Edited by Jeff Mc William

Hello Jeff.

Yes they do exist, along with clasps for 1877, 1877-8, 1877-8-9, 1878, 1878-9 & 1879

I believe the rarity comes from it being issued to colonial forces only.

Sorry, I dont have one, but I do have the 1877-8-9.

regards

Thomas (really)

Hello Jeff.

Yes they do exist, along with clasps for 1877, 1877-8, 1877-8-9, 1878, 1878-9 & 1879

I believe the rarity comes from it being issued to colonial forces only.

Sorry, I dont have one, but I do have the 1877-8-9.

regards

Thomas (really)

Magificent medal!! I would hate to think what these go for in the collecting community! Does anyone know? I would be willing to bet that 90% of these have been accounted for in collections or families.

Northeast Medals - Zulu wars

This is a fantastic site to visit

regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas. Many thanks for your interesting and prompt reply. Yes, this is indeed a fantastic site. I have learned alot since I "logged-on". There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here, including (if I may say so) yourself. My thanks again for your help. Regards Jeff

Hello -Jeff, welcome to GMIC. I have the rolls for the 1879 medal and I do not remember any ref. to the 1877-9 bar. Not that I would doubt Thomas - 'The Tank' - for a minute, but they are usually in the combinations as already listed.

The 1879 is the valuable clasp - has gone up in recent years and a basic one to a standard unit - about ?400/500. ($640/800). We had one to a Rorke's Drift survivor some years ago and it recently was resold in the UK for the highest price paid for a non'gallantry' group - about ? 35,000

Hello -Jeff, welcome to GMIC. I have the rolls for the 1879 medal and I do not remember any ref. to the 1877-9 bar. Not that I would doubt Thomas - 'The Tank' - for a minute, but they are usually in the combinations as already listed.

The 1879 is the valuable clasp - has gone up in recent years and a basic one to a standard unit - about ?400/500. ($640/800). We had one to a Rorke's Drift survivor some years ago and it recently was resold in the UK for the highest price paid for a non'gallantry' group - about ? 35,000

gulp !! incredible !! to think that I once had one to the 13th Foot with the bar "1878-9" which I purchased for ?2 !!

Story of all collectors' lives !!! Try having a shop and then looking back five years to things you sold 'for nothing'.... When I first collected truncheons and tipstaves, I struggled to find ?20-?50 for a truncheon and and up to a ?100 for a good tipstaff. Best thing I ever did - had years of enjoyment - which must come first - but, they have also appreciated in value.

The last 'good' 1879 we had was to Royal Durban Rifles - 60 at that time and only about 30 bothered to collect.

HI Jeff,

The clasp 1877-9 does exist, and was awarded to local men who signed up in '77 and resigned before the end of the year so were entilled to the 1877 clasp. a very few of these men would have re-attested and served in the final stages of the war in '79 and been entitled to 1879 clasp.

the issuing authorities being what the have always been could not see why a two bar medal should be given when a single bar would do.

Gordon.

HI Jeff,

The clasp 1877-9 does exist, and was awarded to local men who signed up in '77 and resigned before the end of the year so were entilled to the 1877 clasp. a very few of these men would have re-attested and served in the final stages of the war in '79 and been entitled to 1879 clasp.

the issuing authorities being what the have always been could not see why a two bar medal should be given when a single bar would do.

Gordon.

Hi again,

checked my notes probably only 11 187-9 clasps issued, and if anybody rears of one let ne know asap as I've been saving my pocket for years

Here is a 1877 beside a 1877-8 which shows the pale straw ribbon somestimes seen. This medal and ribbon were bought direct from the familly and had literally not seen seen the light of day for a hundred or more years so I say that the ribbon colour is original and not a faded example

Gordon

Edited by steelbonnet

Hello Gentlemen.

There are a few "Zulu War" medals for sale on this site at the moment, including a couple for the campaigns of 1934-53. African Military Connection

Regards

Thomas

Hi everyone. Many thanks again for the useful information and your kind comments. I am no longer a "doubting Thomas" on this issue ! But hey..has anyone out there got a decent photo of the 1877-9 bar they can send me for my records? I would be most grateful. My e-mail address is :

jeff.mcwilliam@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks to anyone who can help. Sincerely. Jeff