News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Typology of The Order Ninth September 1944

This is not meant to be the definitive discussion of this order; but rather a summary of my observations in handling these pieces for some time now. I'd like to thank a number of Forum Members for their assistance: especially Anatoly13 & Bolgarin for their extensive contributions of time, images and details from their fine collections. I would also like to thank Angel Garbachov for images graciously loaned and Theodor for patient translation of a language I cannot imagine being able to master soon. The author of this thread (Richard A. Versailles aka stogieman) retains copyright over the contents of this thread in content, text, images and concept.

Currently, because of the vagaries of translating into english, the word "emission" has been used to describe the various issues of The Order. We have been slowly changing to the word to "issue" on this forum as being more appropriate. However, I would like to use the word "Type" to specify each distinct issue of the order for purposes of this discussion; using a numerical system of precedence and further breaking this down by lettered sub-types. My reasons are simple. I am discerning "types" by major, physical changes to the Order. (Neck order/Screwback, change to suspension for all three classes, major design and suspension change) In essence, all other variations fall under these three categories.

The People's Republic of Bulgaria instituted this order by decree of The Supreme Soviet on the Ninth of September, 1945. The Order was designed by Boris Angelushev. The Order was instituted to honor both Bulgarian and foreign citizens, who took part in the armed insurrection of the people on the 9th of September 1944 and for participants in "the foundation and consolidation of the people's authority".

The Order was instituted in three (3) classes, Third, Second and First. Further distinction was made between a civil award (no swords) and a military award (with swords). Third Class being the lowest; followed by Second & First Classes in order of distinction.

Specifications:

First Class: 66mm. enameled star, gold-colored metal frame/body, enameled white arms. Obverse center metal disc with an enameled green laurel wreath around the circumferance, center metal disc with the bust of Vasil Levski, Hero of Bulgaria. Reverse arms are enameled white. Reverse center disc repeats the laurel wreath design and encloses a red enamel field with the date 9 Cent. 1944. Swords are gilt, tips up and fully sculpted/detailed on both sides.

Second Class: 60mm. enameled star, gold-colored metal frame with obverse enameled white arms. Obverse metal center disc with a green enameled ring containing a green laurel wreath around the circumference, center metal disc with the bust of Vasil Levski, Hero of Bulgaria. Green enameled ring of the larger center disc bears the date 9 Cent. above the bust and 1944 below. The reverse of the Second Class is plain with no enamel/features. Reverse of swords for this class have no details sculpted.

Third Class: 60mm. enameled star, gold-colored metal frame with obverse enameled red arms. Obverse metal center disc with a green enameled ring containing a green laurel wreath around the circumference, center metal disc with the bust of Vasil Levski, Hero of Bulgaria. Green enameled ring of the larger center disc bears the date 9 Cent. above the bust and 1944 below. The reverse of the Third Class is plain with no enamel/features. Reverse of swords for this class have no details sculpted.

There are three distinct types that The Order was issued in. I have opted for three types with sub-variants as the three types represent the major, physical changes that have occurred with The Order over the length of its' issue from 1945 through 1989.

Type 1: First Class is a neck order on a long, crimson ribbon. Second & Third Classes are screw-back orders with a screw disc to secure The Order to the left breast of the recipient. There are two distinct sub-variants of this type:

Type 1a: Obverse center disc on all classes bears a full-bust of Vasil Levski, facing right. The image shows his shoulders and characteristic bow tie at the neck. The Cyrilic initials for "V" & "L" frame the face of Levski. Please note that some collectors believe orders of this type are actually samples and may not have been awarded in any significant numbers. This type is quite scarce. (1945-1946?)

Type 1b: First Class Neck Order, Second & Third Class screw-back orders. Center portrait omits the letters framing Levski's face. (1946/7-1950's?)

Type 1 Orders of the Second Third Class have been observed with maker/mint marks stamped into the backs. Markings observed on the lower right star tip and below the center screw post.

Type 2: All three classes of The Order are now mounted on an elongated, upright pentangle suspension. Typical suspension plate is brass with wrapped ribbon and The order suspended below by a small jump ring. Obverse bust of Levski is identical to Type 1b. (earliest award of this type I can confirm is 1959)

Type 2a: Reverse of Second & Third Classes have a center screw-post with small nut attaching the obverse center disc and portrait to the planchette.

Type 3: All three classes of The Order are still mounted on the traditional Soviet-style pentangle mounting plate. The obverse center bust of Levski has had a major design change. Levski's bust now faces slightly more to the center. While neck, collar & tie are still visible, Levski's shoulders/coat are gone from the design. There are four distinct variations of this new design:

Type 3a: Reverse centers of Second & Third classes have what appears to be a round spacer/washer with a small center rivet used to assemble the component pieces. (accompanying orders book showed award dates of 1970 & 1973)

Type 3b: Reverse is smooth, with no visible attachment for component pieces. Small circular tool mark in the center where the order would have been previously punched to accomodate assembly.

Type 3c: Reverse totally smooth with no tool marks or other visible blemishes.

Type 3d: (Mid 1980's-1989?) Pentangle mount is now significantly smaller than all previous mounting plates. The Laurel wreath around the center disc is now made with substantially darker green enamel.

Further variation within these types can be found in base metal for the frame of The Order, three variations in the screw disc for Type 1 (silver embossed disc with date legend/maker's marks, gilt embossed disc with date legend/maker's marks, plain gilt, ridged disc), Variations in the metal used for pentangle suspensions (early-brass, late-aluminum)

• 3 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Award Documents for The Order 9th September 1944:

Thus far, I have observed three different types of Award Documents for this Order. An A4 oversized document, a simple paper folder and the Orders Book (with all the different variations within that type of document, too numerous to discuss here!)

Type 1: A4 paper document. Awarded inception through 1946 ( and later?). Includes award date and occasionally a specific mention of the feat that earned the award.

Type 2: Paper document, folded into a booklet.(One example found, dated 1946). (I am unaware if this was in lieu of an A4 document or possibly in conjunction with the large document.)

Type 3: Hard covered orders book with photo of recipient, award/decree date, Order Type & Class entered.

Award Document, Type 3:

Standard Orders Book. Hard cover folder with paper inserts. Inside front cover, space provided for photo/signature of recipient. Next page, name of recipient. Next page, Award type/Class, decree date and Ministry stamp. Next two pages, regulations governing use/wear of the order.

Award Packaging

The Order 9th September 1944 was originally issued in a paper envelope with black printing as can be observed below. Actual dates this type of packet was utilized is still unknown, however only Type 1 Orders (screwbacks) have been found in the packets. Ihe packets have been observed for both Second & Third Classes. A First Class packet has yet to be observed. Over the last few years, a number of mint in the packet orders have emerged from Bulgaria. Despite the exceptional scarceness of the packet; I believe it safe to assume these are unissued old-stock from the State Mint in Sophia. I can show an example of both the Second & Third Class Packets:

Type 1:

At some point in the late 1940's, the State Mint began utilizing leftover Imperial era cases and heat-stamping in gold on the lids the new regime's orders. Cases are closely akin to pre-ww2 cases in style, material and hardware. There is a scarcer version of these cases for the Type 1 awards that denotes "without swords" on the lid.

We can designate cases as Type 2. Several variations are observed over the life of the order from 2a, leftover latched imperial-style case. Next observed (Type 2b) cases are slip cover lids in a deep maroon color, Awards within this type of case are observed late 1960's through the late 1970's. At some point in the late 1970's, a cheap plastic case began to be utilised across the board in Bulgarian awards. No designation on the lids other than the State Seal of Bulgaria. Each case interior held a (somewhat) fitted, flocked tray to hold the order, a ribbon bar and a miniature device.

Type 2a:

Thus concludes our discussion for the time being. Again, my greatful appreciation to all who have contributed thus far. Please feel free to contact me via PM or to start an open discussion within the forum, with comments, suggestions or any additional information that will help us to all better understand this order.

Best Regards, Rick