News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified swagger stick

Greetings chaps!

Being a newbie to this area of the Forum, let me apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong place, as I rarely stray outside of the Masonic section!

A good friend of mine has asked me for assistance in identifying what I think is an officer's cane or swagger stick. It's approximately 60cm long and about 1cm diameter, and appears to be leather-covered wood. There's a brass sleeve at the top which terminates in a sphere (approx 2cm dia.) with an embossed crest or regimental insignia pictured below:

Apologies for the poor photo - only had my camera phone to hand - which shows a King's crown surmounting a curved bugle or hunting horn with a ribbon embellishment (ribbon arranged in shape of a shamrock, although this may not be significant) and the number/letters "6RR".

From my very amateur research, I suspect it's from one of the Rifles regiments, but would be grateful for any further information please? Especially regiment, age, value etc.

Many thanks,

Richard

Need better photos I'm afraid, could be any one of a number of Regiments. Obviously a Light Infantry or Rifles connection though :cheers:

Yes, sorry about photo, but camera on phone was the only option at the time and not easy to go back for a better picture at the moment. My friend who owns the stick is in his late 80s with failing eyesight and unable to assist, so that's the best I can do for quite a while, I'm afraid.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Richard

Been thinking about this one for a while and I believe that this stick may well be for the 6th Battalion Rajputana Rifles.

The badge has been changed since Indian independance and now obviously omits the crown.

Worth googling for WW2 images of the badge in wear.

Thanks Coldstream,

Funnily enough, someone else (locally) rang me today to suggest the same thing! I have just logged in to add that information and found your message!

Am hoping to have a better picture later this week - the owner lives a little way away from me and I need to make a special journey for it.

Very gratefully yours,

Richard