News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Airforce Badges

Guest IMHF

2829592810103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

Iraqi Airforce Badges with bag of issue from my collection:

Manufactured in Chile

Thank you for viewing:

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

I have 2 of the one on the right, I had to buy both it came as a set. I have never seen the Badge of Saddam on the Left before.

The Saddam Badge Came in the plastic bag Manufactured in Chlie:

Lorenzo

wow!1

What could that be? I wonder if the Chilean firm is still around?

Me to: I have never seen it before until it was offered to me to add to my collection:

Lorenzo

• 3 months later...

Now THAT is interesting!! The eagle attacking a dragon looks VERY familiar as a symbol. Hmmmmm... perhaps inspired?

The reason that the design of Lorenzo's badge might look familiar is because the Egyptian Commandos used the same style of badge. The Military Trader magazine has a Militaria Whatizit section and a subscriber in (Jan. 2008) had sent in a badge that was black,round,3in. by 2 in. and had the same design as Lorenzo's. Clem Kelly identified it in the April 2008 magazine as a breast badge for an Egyptian paratrooper.

In the October 2008 issue of MT, Christopher Weeks had a two page spread about Egyptian Paratrooper and Commando insignia. He had the same style of badge that had been identified in the April issue.

I asked my friend in Iraq about this as I have several badges that are what the Iraqi's call "Thunder Troop" units.The Thunder Troops are a rank like paratrooper rank but smaller units than the paratroopers and doing hard missions.My friend also said " in fact I'm not sure if Egypt used used the same one but yes in general many badges,militaria, flags and other emblems are close between the Arabian countries especially Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Libya, Yemen, and Sudan and this thing appeared during the 1960's and 1970's when Egypt was leading the Arabian world in President Jamal Abdul Nassir era so may be Iraq and Egypt used the same Thunder's badges". Even the cloth version between Iraq and Egypt are similiar.

No one has come up with a picture of an Iraqi wearing a "Thunder" badge and some people don't even think they exist. If so, then why do the badges keep showing up as Iraqi Thunder troops and how do you tell the difference? Ah, the trials and tribulations of collecting Iraqi Militaria.unsure.gif

Below is the badge (obverse and reverse) and the cloth version described in the discussion above.

Bob

• 1 month later...

The reason that the design of Lorenzo's badge might look familiar is because the Egyptian Commandos used the same style of badge. The Military Trader magazine has a Militaria Whatizit section and a subscriber in (Jan. 2008) had sent in a badge that was black,round,3in. by 2 in. and had the same design as Lorenzo's. Clem Kelly identified it in the April 2008 magazine as a breast badge for an Egyptian paratrooper.

In the October 2008 issue of MT, Christopher Weeks had a two page spread about Egyptian Paratrooper and Commando insignia. He had the same style of badge that had been identified in the April issue.

I asked my friend in Iraq about this as I have several badges that are what the Iraqi's call "Thunder Troop" units.The Thunder Troops are a rank like paratrooper rank but smaller units than the paratroopers and doing hard missions.My friend also said " in fact I'm not sure if Egypt used used the same one but yes in general many badges,militaria, flags and other emblems are close between the Arabian countries especially Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Libya, Yemen, and Sudan and this thing appeared during the 1960's and 1970's when Egypt was leading the Arabian world in President Jamal Abdul Nassir era so may be Iraq and Egypt used the same Thunder's badges". Even the cloth version between Iraq and Egypt are similiar.

No one has come up with a picture of an Iraqi wearing a "Thunder" badge and some people don't even think they exist. If so, then why do the badges keep showing up as Iraqi Thunder troops and how do you tell the difference? Ah, the trials and tribulations of collecting Iraqi Militaria.unsure.gif

Below is the badge (obverse and reverse) and the cloth version described in the discussion above.

Bob

Bob

Very beautiful set:

Lorenzo

2829592810103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

Iraqi Airforce Badges with bag of issue from my collection:

Manufactured in Chile

Thank you for viewing:

Lorenzo

2856548710103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

I am still looking for the silver Order of the Iraqi Airforce Service Order:

Lorenzo