News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre - Genuine or fake?

Thomas Symmonds

Hello Gentlemen.

I picked these up a couple of years ago because the award has always intrigued me, and they look damn attractive. But before I can bring them out at some show-and-tell I need to know if, in your opinions, they are good or bad, genuine or fakes. If the photos dont show you some thing specific let me know and I shall see what I can do.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing your posts.

regards

Thomas

Thomas,

Not sure of the center (Zaire) piece; something I just don't have knowledge on. The other two look okay; the 14-18 CdG has it's palm upside down, but I have seen a few like this, so..? The ribbon may have been replaced, I don't know. Search these threads for more info.

The one on the right is actually a Belgian CdG which also looks okay to me.

Tim

They are all ok, however the middle one is the type that was awarded to local Zaire troops, not the type for the 2 REP at Kolwezi. While they got the same medal, their Ops Shaba bar is a cut out bar, not a solid bar like this.

Absolutly right !

Hello All.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here.

So Chris, you actually met the bloke who owns that arm? Do you have an interesting story to share?

The shoulder badge, is that an Aloe or a "grenade fired" with the bottom covered up?

And another question - Bison, could you enlighten me more on the "famous" part of the "another pic of the famous 'Kolwezi' special bar" ?

Again, thank you to all.

regards

Thomas

So Chris, you actually met the bloke who owns that arm? Do you have an interesting story to share?

Nah, not really.

It was during selection at Aubagne. He was an Older Caporal or CaporalChef detailed to march us (or shuffle us off) to lunch. We (Guys who had seen the book with the photo) were going "###### me! its the guy whose arm is in the book!"

So we walked over and said "###### me! you are the guy whose arm is in the book!"

and he said......

"Yes, now shut the ###### up and get into the messhall otherwise you lot will not be eating today".

And that.... was the deep conversation... it was a Portugese guy if i remember correctly.

And another question - Bison, could you enlighten me more on the "famous" part of the "another pic of the famous 'Kolwezi' special bar" ?

Thomas,

As far as I know, this 'specia'l bar is in solid gold and was given to the troops who stayed in Za?re after the Kolwezi airborne operation in 1978.

The full story here: http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/reso...odom2/odom2.asp

Those who were back to France were awarded with the 'regular' bronze one.

The name of this cross is 'croix de la bravoure'. Arthus-Bertrand was the manufacturer.

I assume the gold bars were locally made. Some copy exist.

Regards

Bison

Thomas,

As far as I know, this 'specia'l bar is in solid gold and was given to the troops who stayed in Za?re after the Kolwezi airborne operation in 1978.

The full story here: http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/reso...odom2/odom2.asp

Those who were back to France were awarded with the 'regular' bronze one.

The name of this cross is 'croix de la bravoure'. Arthus-Bertrand was the manufacturer.

I assume the gold bars were locally made. Some copy exist.

Regards

Bison

I have heard this story before but it is not correct. I have in my collection a group to a corporal in 2 REP who was at Kolwezi together with the award documents for this medal. He has the cut out bar (it is made of brass, not gold) and he went back to Calvi with the rest of the regiment once the mission was over. I believe that all REP recipients were awarded this bar, if someone lost their original then a replacement would have been the solid type bar but I have not yet seen photographic evidence of one in wear by a REP member. The story of the gold bars is one of those stories that has grown up around the REP over the years.

Paul

Thank you for clearing this story of gold bar which is currently running around... and in which I believed up to now.

Unfortunately I don't have this cut out bar in my collection, only the bronze model.

I personaly met at least two officers who were in Kolwezi with the REP, and they used to wear the model with bronze bar, probably as replacement (?). I never dare to ask them about this kind of detail... :cheeky:

Regards

Bison

I remember when we got the Saudi medals for Gulf 1, guys in the regiment were insisting that the middle part was in solid gold...

Hope always stays strong... ;-)

:cheers: Yea, I remember hearing that BS too! Had all the guys anxiously awaiting their medals to arrive and when they finally showed up, the rumor was only the first initial ones that went to high-ranking individuals, then the rumors they got swapped; it never ends... :unsure: I'll say this; if any of them were with solid gold centers, the actual gold amount would be so small, it wouldn't be worth squat anyway.

Tim