News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Scots Helmets

The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment) was the oldest Regiment in the British Army and, as such, was the senior Infantry Regiment of the Line.

It was raised in 1633 when Sir John Hepburn, under a Royal Warrant from King Charles I, recruited 1200 men in Scotland. The first Battle Honour awarded to the Regiment was Tangier 1680, since when a further 148 were gained in a history which involved them in almost every campaign the British Army has fought; the last awarded being 'Gulf 1991'.

On 28 March 2006, 373 years to the day since its formation, The Royal Scots merged with the other surviving Scottish Infantry Regiments to form The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Pictured below are a pair of Victorian Officers helmets, the first with gilt fittings being to a regular officer and the second with silver fittings being to an officer of the 5th Volunteer Battalion.

Jamie - you certainly have some fantastic helmets in your collection. To have both examples in this condition makes me very envious !!

I never understand why so few people seem to have an interest in helmets - to me they are so collectable and rare. Thankyou for showing them - are there more police to follow ?? Mervyn

• 1 month later...

Absolutely stunning pair of Blue Cloths. It looks as if the furniture has been re-gilded and the silver brought to near-new condition. Do you reckon they were professionally restored?

The Blue Cloth was not very well liked by those who wore it. The leather headband took a long time to soften and mould to the wearer's head - I suppose officers could order a much better quality of leather whilst ORs took what they were given.

One of the chief complaints was the lack of ventilation around the headband. Britain must have been warmer in those days.

The Royal Scots ceased wearing the helmet in 1904 and these examples are post 1891 when the title on the scroll changed to The Royal Scots.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Stuart - good that you brought these back - I thought they were beautiful examples and in such lovely condition. I had wondered about the pristine condition of the badges - however, they are in keeping with the helmets - perhaps they were just stored away somewhere ? How long have you had them Jamie ? Should you ever think of parting with them, I'll 'fight' Stuart to see who can make an offer.....

• 1 year later...