News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Malayan Sash Kris

This belonged to a Sth. African Army officer, who was seconded to the Malay Police during the terrorist problems of the 1950's and 60's. It is of course a kris and in this small size is probably for evening dress wear. They would have worn a sarong, with a coloured sash, and this was probably to be pushed into this sash. The scabbard - or, sheath, is made from two local woods and the lower part is cut out from the top. The blade is nothing special - although has a pattern in the moulding. The small 'V' in the top of the blade is a 'leftover' from bigger weapons and was intended to try and catch the blade of your opponent. Look at a kukri to see this clearly. The small brass moulding around the base of the grip, represents a lotus flower - traditional in the Far East. An attractive item.

Hi Mervyn,

I have read that the area you refer to as a "V" found on the kris as well as the kukri is meant to represent the trident of the Hindu God Siva. Years ago it was said to be a blood-letting device as you are not to draw the weapon unless you "spill" blood. I think this was more of a Western misconception of the notch and the representation of the God the more likely.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

Regards

Brian

Thanks - Brian. I had heard that - however, the notch in a blade is very wide spread. Also, many of the Countries that use it are not Hindu - Indonesia and Malaya are predominantly Muslim - in fact, Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the World. Perhaps it was a practise that became the 'norm' ? An interesting topic that could be explored a little ' deeper' - can anyone else give us their opinion ?

Hi Mervyn,

I agree that many countries that use this "decoration" are not Hindu and that has always made me wonder about this story. However, I would have to say that the use as a blade catcher or breaker, for that matter, is doubtful. While the kris is a fragile weapon at the best of times the "breaker" would give well before the opponet's blade would ever break. One of the problems with using a blade breaker, or grabbing an arm band as suggested in another post on police arm bands, is that while your weapon or sleeve has been tied up an experienced fighter can make this his advantage.

I would say that whatever this is or was meant to be has evolved into a decoration, or symbol. I have never seen a robust example of one of these that would serve as a blade catch or breaker from which these could have evolved into a decorative symbol. I've had several kukri over the years and only kept the one I posted as I liked the overall style and the area we are discussing is "closed" rather than the usual "open" design.

Another interesting thing about your kris is that as you noted the brass piece abutting the handle is a lotus which appears in both Hindu and Buddhist religion and art. I have a book with an extensive section on the kris which I will try to find (darn renovations!).

I hope other members will add to what I think is an interesting topic.

Thnaks for starting it Mervyn.

Regards

Brian

Hi Mervyn,

I have read that the area you refer to as a "V" found on the kris as well as the kukri is meant to represent the trident of the Hindu God Siva. Years ago it was said to be a blood-letting device as you are not to draw the weapon unless you "spill" blood. I think this was more of a Western misconception of the notch and the representation of the God the more likely.

As always, I stand to be corrected.

Regards

Brian

Brian

Absolutely right: a Western myth!

If you read John Masters' wonderful work on his time with the Gurkhas - called Bugles and a Tiger - he describes his men using their kukris to clear brush for fields of fire while on manuvers. Hardly the use a sacred blood-eating blade would be put to. As someone else has pointed out, however, it not only perpetuates the bloodthirsty image of the Gurkha but provides a great excuse to say 'no' when some tourist wants to see a kukri unsheathed.

In his book, Masters also mentions the almost reverent manner in which his riflemen treated their British officers. During said brush clearing, one of the men lopped off his own thumb and approached the Medical officer to ask if he could reattach it. This in the 1930s, mind, and Masters remarks that he was 'half serious' and would not have been very surprised if the Doctor Sahib has said 'yes'.

As to the 'notch', and I know this is not a very satisfying answer, it may well be there because "That's how grandad made them, and his granfer too." There must be a reason but it may well be 'tradition' these days, with the original logic lost in the mists of time.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Hello Mervyn,

I have been looking for that book that deals with the Kris and I have found it. It is titled, "Asian Fighting Arts" by Donn F. Draeger and Robert W. Smith. I've had this book since 1974 and the pages are turning brown with age and I treat it with extra care.

It seems like every little part of the Kris has a name but I will only deal with the "notch".

The "notch" represents an elephant's head. In the attached photo you can see the trunk, called the Belalai Gaja and the smaller point which represents the elephant's tusk called the Lamba Gaja. In some later examples this has all but disappeared but in the older blades it is quite prominent. Thanks for giving me the nudge to do some more research, Mervyn.

Regards

Brian

Brian - I'm so glad you found that book !! Does it give a reason for the notch ? Now that we know it represents an elephant head - you can see the shape. The kris you illustrate - could you do a picture - it looks to have age ? Of course some Kris' are extremely valuable - they use a process of folding the hot metal - same as top european swordsmiths (the name escapes me at this moment) and it can take months of work.

Thankyou for finding this ref. - we have all learnt something.

It's probably worth while to remember that, long before the Muslims moved across SE Asia, the Hindus had been there for centuries, and are still the predominant religion in Bali. I suspect this may have something to do with the symbology of the kris and lots of other Malayan / Javanese symbology. There's another wonderful "kris' book, The Kris, Mystic Weapon of the Malay World, by Edward Frey, Oxford University Press, 1986. Well worth the money if you can find it. It's part of their wonderful "Images of Asia" series.

The kris carries considerable religious significance in these countries, and a man is not properly dressed (in a formal sense) without one. The proper care and preservation of a kris is a deeply religious tradition (pre-Muslim, but still observed by some today).

I'll try to post a few pictures from my years in Singapore.

Hugh

Here's a kris I got in Suryakarta (Solo), the cultural heart of Java. I've told the story elsewhere, but for those who missed it -

I was loafing between assignments while living in Singapore, and went down to see Solo and Borobudur. While roaming outside the Royal Palace in Solo, I was approached by a scruffy local who promised to show me a remarkable sight, if I'd just step inside his hut. Being foolish, if not young, I followed him and sat down on the dirt floor, where he proceeded to show me this very kris, which he held tip down on the floor and told me that he would make it stand up with any visible means of support. He then removed his hand, and lo, the kris remained perfectly erect. (No snide comments, please) He pushed on it, I pushed on it, and it always returned to the upright position. I looked for the strings, wires, magnets while he chuckled in the corner. I couldn't find anything. Then (of course) he offered to sell it to me for a paltry sum, and I agreed. We talked for quite a while about Javanese mysticism and the spirit of the kris, which must be nourished with prayer, coconut milk and rose petals. Of course, the Western part of me didn't believe a word (but why did it stay upright?). I never saw him again, and for all I know, he runs a factory in the backyard turning out these things by the hundreds, but I think it's a nice looking example.

Yes - Bali has always been special. I used to handle the advtg. for Garuda Airways and have some wonderful Balinese carvings. Your comments re wearing a Kris on special occasions explains the small sash version.

When were you in Singapore ? I was in Thailand from 1960 to 64.

You've already noticed on the previous picture that the "Gaja" is not present. I don't know whether this is a characteristic of Javanese Kris' or not.

Here's a nice bit of detail from the scabbard.

Edited by Hugh

I love the blade on this one. I know there's considerable significance to it, but memory fails me.

Mervyn - I was based in Singapore from 1984 to 1991, selling aerospace and defence stuff throughout the region.

I seem to remember that the handle is intended to represent a stylised garuda, the mythical bird of the Hindus. Perhaps someone else can confirm (or I'll have to go back and re-read my book. ) The garuda is the logo of the Indonesian airline, as Mervyn knows so well.

Mervyn - Sounds as though you must have been there during Konfrontasi? Ah, the days of the Bung!

The gaja is found on the older more traditional kris. Hugh, that's not to say yours in not old only that the older ones are more likely to have them. The book I have deals with the use more than the traditions so I don't know the reason for the elephant design other than it is a traditional symboland that the first krises were made by a Hindu population, before the introduction of Islam.

Tradition has it that the deadliness of the blade increases with the number of vaves, though you will find krises also made without any waves such as the Celebes kris. Krises are made with as many as 19 waves and there are always an odd number of waves. The only source of iron was from meteoites in the ancient times and this was used to make the kris. Of course as trade became established with other cultures iron was imported. The undulate blade facilitates penitration between bones and sinews. The blade seems fragil (and it is) compaired with other fighting knives and swords and one may wonder how these survived use considering the strength of other weapons. It must be remembered that these were the only weapons in use at this time so if everyone had these then they were the state of the art in fighting weapons at that time.

Oh yes, if anyone reading this post decides to purchase a kris be sure you do not try to remove the rust that covers all older blades. It is important to not remove this as you will spoil the blade completely, the rust is part of the finish. Some Japanese armour also has this style of finish and it was done on purpose.

Here's another one - more decorative scabbard, but no special story to go with it. Got in an antique store in Jakarta back in the '80's. About the same size as the other.

Brian's comment on the meteorite iron is spot on. The Prambunan meteor in the kraton garden in Surakarta was the source of many. The makers (and other people) believe that the meteorite origin of the iron imparts special spiritual characteristics to the finished kris. There were also many rituals associated with the making and maintenance of the kris.

Edited by Hugh

Having a little trouble with the attachments. Here's a look at the blade.

I took a quick glance at my book, The Kris, which has a wonderful chapter on the magical powers of certain krises. It had a story very similar to my "stand on the point" experience.

Edited by Hugh

And here's a cute little guy. It seems as though it must have been made as a toy, but, given the spiritual nature of the kris, that seems unlikely. Maybe a sort of iconic ritual piece?