News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Malayan Sash Kris

The "notch" represents an elephant's head. In the attached photo you can see the trunk, called the Belalai Gaja and the smaller point which represents the elephant's tusk called the Lamba Gaja. In some later examples this has all but disappeared but in the older blades it is quite prominent. Thanks for giving me the nudge to do some more research, Mervyn.

Regards

Brian

Considering the Hindu link it could be a tribute to Ganesha, the elephant headed god, remover of obstacles. An enemy could definitely be considered an obstacle.

Brian - wow ! Indonesian Kris' 101... I am so glad I started this thread with the one small sash kris - we have all learnt a great deal and I hope there will be further posts. I was looking at Hugh's example (no.14) and thinking that the gold coloured markings were possibly the remains of gold leaf - now after your warning , are they rust ? What do you think ?

Brian - wow ! Indonesian Kris' 101... I am so glad I started this thread with the one small sash kris - we have all learnt a great deal and I hope there will be further posts. I was looking at Hugh's example (no.14) and thinking that the gold coloured markings were possibly the remains of gold leaf - now after your warning , are they rust ? What do you think ?

I don't think rust; they're not that color at all. Definitely a gold color.

H

I've been having a closer look at the Kris examples Brian and Hugh have posted. Only when you examine all the surfaces do you realise the work and the quality. I think Brian's is very good - as you point out, the thinness of the blade is remarkable. I am no expert on metal but, I think there is a possibility that the blade was damascened (I couldn't think of this earlier) Many Kris' are worked with this folding of the metal - a long and arduous job - hopefully someone with more knowledge can advise ? Hugh's larger one - with the mystic background, also looks to have excellent workmanship. I don't think you were ripped off - the possibility has to be that it is an old one. I wish we had someone with more experience in this field. The cover for the sheath may be pressed, but the handle and blade look to be of good quality. The little sash one is well carved on the grip - ivory or, bone ? What do you think Hugh ? However, the sheath is all from one piece of wood - like my example - indicative of the importance of a kris.

The religious aspect must also, not be overlooked. I saw a tv programme about the making of a special kris. Every aspect involved prayers and blessings and it took him about 8 months to make. If I remember correctly it had the astronomical value of about $100,000.

Let's see what else we can find out - anyone else with a kris to show ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Mine were all relatively inexpensive, much less than $100 US. The two "non-mystics" came from a poky little shop which frankly didn't look as though it was making a lot of money. The small one is so small that it's hard for me to imagine an adult wearing / using it.

Mine were all relatively inexpensive, much less than $100 US. The two "non-mystics" came from a poky little shop which frankly didn't look as though it was making a lot of money. The small one is so small that it's hard for me to imagine an adult wearing / using it.

Mine cost me little as well but then I purchased in in the early 1970s. In a lot of shops things like these were considered "junk". Oh, to return to those times with today's income.

I have more information on the religious aspect of the kris and I'll post it later when time permits.

Regards

Brian