News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first Casualty Medal

Here is my first casualty medal to H H Pell of the Royal Artillery.

n2zhg2.jpg

Here are the details from the CWGC

Name: PELL, HERBERT HENRY

Initials: H H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 87th Bty.

Date of Death: 27/05/1918

Service No: 640592

Additional information: Son of Mary Elizabeth Pell, of 7, Albion Terrace, Boston Rd., Sleaford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 30.

Cemetery: GWALIA CEMETERY

I have just started to collect British medals and i am very happy with this one.I got it from e bay for the price of £22.

Nice medal David

Welcome to the world of British medal collecting. If you ever have any questions about research etc. or are ever looking for a particular piece drop me a line i'm more than willing to help out.

Cheers

Chris

David, you can't go much wrong if you invest in "The Medal yearbook 2010" which I believe has just been or is about to be published. A worthwhile investment especially when collecting British and Commonwealth medals. Full colour pics and an up to date price guide.

I think Dixons medals and Amazon are selling this book?

Well worth looking at other websites as well as e-bay and do your research.

Website I can recommend is Britannia Military Antiques.

Good Luck in your collecting.

Muckaroon 1960

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will get a copy of the medal year book.

Chris,many thanks of you roffer of help.I will get in contact if i need any.Paul,thanks for telling me what is on his MIC.I have plans of researching his history and building up a profile of him.

640592 Dvr. Herbert Henry Pell initially served in the 2 Highland Brigade, RFA (TF). Soldiers Died (the book) indicates that he was Killed in Action. 87th Battery, RFA was a Howitzer Battery in the 2nd Brigade, RFA in the 2nd Division. Gunner 1

640592 Dvr. Herbert Henry Pell initially served in the 2 Highland Brigade, RFA (TF). Soldiers Died (the book) indicates that he was Killed in Action. 87th Battery, RFA was a Howitzer Battery in the 2nd Brigade, RFA in the 2nd Division. Gunner 1

Many, many thanks for that information.How can i obtain a copy of the book Soldiers Died?

Soldiers Died in the Great Waris a multi-volume set of books that cover individual regiments. These books have the advantage over the CWGC site or the 'Soldiers Died' disk in that rather than just showing the man as 'died' they list the type of death, i.e. KIA, DOW, died of disease, etc. Gunner 1