News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vaulting on '39 EK

Can anybody address the issue of vaulting (rather the lack thereof) and the '39 EK? I understand the reasoning behind it being a very common feature of many if not most private purchase '14 EKs, which is infinitely practical, but am surprised that the practice didn't follow through with the next generation (at least not to any great extent - if at all).

Biber

Hello

My understanding is that vaulted EKs from 1939 are only to be found among the early issue pieces. I base this on the following extract from Vern Bowens book, 'The Prussian and German Iron Cross', 1st print edition, page173:

"In a memorandum dated 5th September 1940, on instructions received from the LDO, Steinhauer & Luck informed their customers they were unable to supply 1939 EK1's in curved form with screwback fasteners as it was forbidden (verboten), although it would seem prior to this, some firms had been manufacturing and supplying such items. In a directive issued on the 5th March 1941 by the LDO, the following announcement appeared:-

Translation.....After agreemnet with the Oberkommando das Wehrmacht, I have permitted dealers to sell 1939 1st Class Iron Crosses with screw back attachments. Forbidden still, as previously, 1939 1st Class Iron Crosses in curved form.....(Note! Only licensed dealers were permitted to sell LDO approved pieces).

I have so far been unable to find any directives which permitted the use of 1939 EK1's in a curved form. Those which exist, whether with pinback or screwback fasteners, appear to have been made before September 1940 and without LDO authority. they would have been purchased privately."

Bowen, and others, show curved, (vaulted), crosses in their books but based on the above I pressume them to be early items. I dare say that some jewellers will have curved crosses for customers even after the LDO directives and so some later examples probably exist - but not officially.

Regards

David